Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:22am - Nov 29,10 
Had #6 choice at Kankakee FWA (Indiana) on 11/28 and went to C17 with the South wind. We were hoping to see all the new birds that came down with the cold front that had been reported and my dad and I were looking to get into some migrating birds.

However, the 1"+ of ice had another plan for us. After busting our way out to the blind, we finally got set up by sunrise but basically exhausted ourselves getting out there. We really hoped we'd be awarded for our efforts but the birds never really flew. Ended up leaving the blind at 10 AM since dad's sweat-drenched clothes were getting too cold. Only had 1 duck come close to the blind and never really saw anything to make me think Kankakee was holding a ton of birds still. Heard a couple blinds shooting, but nothing crazy. Driving by the south end of the Goose Pits, we saw a couple hundred birds tightly packed together and sitting on dry land - I think we would have needed some harder winds or wetter weather to get them up.

Still had a good time in the blind with Dad and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to go in for a stress test any time soon! Will definitely be one we'll remember - especially pushing the boat across the ice 30 yards on our knees where we couldn't break through...........i'm getting tired/sore just thinking about it!

Like Dad said - "Days like today make you really appreciate when you do get into them".

Guys we talked to said Willow Slough was holding a good number of birds and had been shooting ducks. Might have to give there a try..........but I think I might be done busting ice out to the blind for this year. Getting up in a tree stand is so much easier!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:09pm - Nov 29,10 
Go to Kansas. I've been getting Geese, geese, and more geese and am totally appreciative of them. Buddy in Kansas, right south of KC, has taken two ta three man limits the last 5 hunts. I never new Kansas was such a duck mecca. Today, he called with his report, 15 mallards and 7 geese. i dread when i see his emails. LOL.

but hey, I'm more of Goose hunter these days.

Salt

Navy-Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49am - Nov 30,10 
Do you need a boat to access Kankakee's blinds or is it wade to with your dekes? How bout the Slough? Never been, thanks.

2006-2007

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:11am - Nov 30,10 
Goheen25 wrote:
Do you need a boat to access Kankakee's blinds or is it wade to with your dekes? How bout the Slough? Never been, thanks.

Hey Goheen - Most of the blinds at Kankakee give you a boat - and they're nice big/wide boats. Plenty of room for 3 guys and 4-5 bags of decoys. However, there are a handful where no boat is provided. Most of the blinds there you need a boat due to the 8'+ deep ditches but once you get to the blinds you're good in waders. They have blind sheets at the HQ that tell you which blinds do not provide a boat.

The Slough is the same - they provide boats for most of the blinds.

Good luck if you get out.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Nov 30,10 
Well, don't let my post dissuade anyone from giving Kankakee FWA a shot. This morning they had 25 parties for 41 blinds and shot 159 ducks! They probably didn't even have to break any ice to do it!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05am - Dec 1,10 
Cool beans, I'm more of a deer guy but do like to "try" and kill quakers a few times a year, I've got a few dozen standard Mallard dekes and am on 4-10's the rest of the winter and would be down to try it.

2006-2007

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:27pm - Dec 7,10 
man remember when they had the walk in the last 3 or 4 days of the season for the refuge that was a blast

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: