Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:12am - Nov 17,10 
So, I am making a second trip up to LaCrosse and I plan on leaving Thursday around 1. I was curious to know if Wisconsin has any public land on the way up, that I might be able to pop in for sunset and knock a few down. Maybe even walk a pheasant field..... something to make my drive more exciting. I will be taking 94 N from Northbrook.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Nov 17,10 
There is always Bong Recreation Area, but that's just over the border, and unless something has changed, similar to our story here in Lake Co.

Been a real slow down on the waterfowl, and you might be wasting you time this far south. :?

There are sure to be birds at Horicon, right? :winker

Have a safe trip! :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:03pm - Nov 17,10 
So, do I just drive into these places and say, "I want to shoot some ducks." and they let you in? Whats the process?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:05pm - Nov 17,10 
I know there is a $10 daily use fee, unless you have an annual use sticker? All WI license and stamp, and federal stamp regulations would apply. I haven't hunted there for several years now, but I believe it is first come first served. You could get on-line and check the details, or call the park.

I would think there is someone on this site that has been there more recently than I. In fact, I know of a guy that hunts and trains there, and I'll see if I can get a few more details for you. Check back here @ 6:30 tonight, as I should have posted what I can get for you. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24am - Nov 24,10 
Well, Captain, I gave Bong a try on my way up. A little interesting spot, lots of blinds, no birds. I know its a state run place, but these blinds are just boxes with just open tops. I didn't want to try and dress it, cause I'm not sure if you're allowed to hack down any vegetation. But in either case, I sat from 2-430 on Thursday, with nothing to show for it. There was only 2 Sandhills to skirt me. I should have known when the lady at check-in said ,"You can have any blind out there. All open."

Thanks for the info, if birds were around I'm sure it might be a decent spot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - Apr 22,11 
nak983

I just came across your post, and I'm interested in what you encountered out there (other than empty skies)

Were the blinds set up near shallow water ? or do you need a dog / boat ?
Other than the typical State / Fed stamp & license regs, did Bong have any additional requirements ?

I'm in the NW burbs as well, and I'm always on the lookout for waterfowl spots.

Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:49am - Apr 22,11 
Most blinds are set up on a scattering of little potholes. Nothing that I encountered was more than 2ft deep. Although, there is a "main lake" that I'm sure runs up to 15-20ft and has a couple blinds on it. You do not need a boat, in fact, other than the lake, you wouldn't need one if you had a dog. Most you would need without a dog would be a canoe/kayak to retrieve the birds/dekes.

No other special requirements, other than they charge you $10 per day. And I imagine you would want to get there extremely early when the birds are moving.

Personally, I don't have much in the way of waterfowl spots. I tend to visit friends in LaCrosse and the L-P area for my duck fix.

Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:19pm - Apr 22,11 
pretty sure you can go anywhere outside of town on the river. i know i have in the past out of a boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:33am - Jun 21,11 
nak, I have a regular group I generally hunt with, but send me a PM with your location and contact info, and maybe I can get you out with me this coming season, if and when others can't make it. If you are interested? I have my spouse well trained :rotflmao (actually she is just very understanding- at least tell her I said this! :winker ) and she lets me hunt more than the rest of the group! :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Jun 21,11 
Of course I'm interested, PM sent.

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: