Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02am - Nov 5,10 
Anyone hunt from a "Deep Water Blind"? Been watching the numbers of birds passing by many shore and close to shore blinds after the heavy hunting pressure the first couple of weeks. :shock

Considering a deep water blind since I have permission and the land out to the ceter of the lake is privately owned. In talking with a few other hunters, seems it is not a real common practice, but can be very productive. Anyone have any experience in this area? :?

What is the best way to anchor deks in deep water? Gang line might work for divers, but doesn't seem like it would be a natural looking set-up for mallards? :?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Nov 6,10 
load the dec's like ya would in shallow water but if ya got any coot decoys use em yes we had 15 doz gang decoys on lines gang lines are the best for deep water and they are fast and easy to set if the water is deep use drop coards in a bucket with a clip and ring we got to where we coulds set 12 doz decoys and pick them up in a 1/2 hour

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:44pm - Nov 7,10 
Thanks much for the response Cracker, much appreciated.

We are working on getting things together to move the blind out, and are going to give it a wirl. Want to still have the blind on some legs for stability and a steady shooting platform. Think I have that figured out, but will certainly need to rig up the deks different than in 2-4 foot of water. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Nov 8,10 
Captain Internet-

Why would you take all that time? You just spent a bunch of money on your duck boat and blind right? Why not use it out there? How deep is deep by the way? And don't think for a minute that your problem is not the fact that your blind is not in the right place. If you are REALLY killin as many birds as you have told me then I would say you are doing allright. Bet you a hundo that the birds are just blind shy and decoy shy. Been shootin the same birds for several weeks just about everywhere. So lots of us are facing the same issue.

Long lines are fine for whatever decoy you want to throw on them divers or puddlers or geese. Doesn't matter. Run some lines and mix in some singles on long lines.

If you insist then just build a floating blind and anchor it with 16' 2X4's on each corner. You should go to the Chain and look at some of the masterpieces out there before you do anything. Sometimes you need to actually go out and see things instead of sititng on the computer. Just kidding ha!!!

Captain Take Em

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:54pm - Nov 8,10 
i second what he said "blind shy, Decoy shy" all the public pressure on the lakes effect the birds reactions. everyone around us throws 6-10 dozen deeks every weekend. so the ducks are used to seeing the big spreads. try to throw only 12 deeks this early in the season, and watch your boat fill with meat

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Nov 8,10 
Funny you say that headshot, we were just talking about how well the simpler spread (2-3 doz GH, 1 doz geese) worked! Guess it pays to mix it up, change the program, just like with fishing, huh?:lol: Yep, might just be the pressure everywhere I suppose. :thanks

Captain Perfect, I mean Take Em, you don't know how to answer your phone or return calls, :doh so I have to go to some great resources on the internet where the folks are always willing to share. This is a great site, with some great members. :D

Yep, been doing REALLY well, but as you well know, trying to make use of the blind that's already build, but needed to get floating, right? :winker So, it's not that much time, and others are helping out! Why John, because I have the place to do it, and it was suggested by someone who claimed it can be very productive, so why not?Just trying to gain some tips/opinions before I do it.

The boat is working out great, but just thought the camo set up might not be best in deep/open water? Thought it might be easier to set deks, and just tie up to a more permanent blind that blends or fits in better? :? Comments?

I don't know everything yet like you do, but I'm getting better. Everyone has to start somewhere. :wink:

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions! :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:28pm - Nov 8,10 
Go with the boat and see what happens. Take that contraption and use it as a dog house....seriously I would use your time to hunt not build a deep water blind. Consider doing something next year in the off season. And really take time to go to the Chain and see some other stuff. Do it just to go check out other spots you know?

Calls? Hmmmm don't think I missed any? Ohhhhh you mean the ones telling me how good you were doing??!! Ha didn't know you needed a return confirmation.

Just kidding dude glad you are having fun with it. But you are Captain Internet you know? I mean 756 posts and all......

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:54pm - Nov 8,10 
Thanks John,

I'm going to certainly check out Chain, but the truth is, haven't had the time or a reason until a slow down this weekend. :? Sounds like the chain has had a slow down too. Heard that first hand from the folks at Chain O this weekend while I was there. And, I don't think the mild weather this week is going to help push in new birds? Sad story, heard a fellow lost his dog under a blind Sunday at COL, that sure stinks! :doh

I'm lucky to have private water without all the hunter pressure. Also have access to a boathouse to do the blind in, and you can't hunt past dark, so trust me, not cutting into hunting! :winker

Killed a boatload of birds from that contraption (pretty common blind design, I also got off the internet! :rotflmao ) as did several others from this site. :lol: I'll bet that will continue in it's new location too. Not going to wait until off season, as I've been told hunting deep water can make an unproductive day a productive one later in the season there? When it's the only open water, or we need to use the smaller boat to get out and break ice! :shock

Definately having fun! :D Wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't. :winker

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: