Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44pm - Oct 31,10 
Hey everyone, is the most common type of pattern for goose hunting decoys on corn fields the "J" pattern?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:23pm - Oct 31,10 
ummmm well kind of like a half a horshoe i like the x my self or horsoe x's i mean a basic i would say is a qauter j

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:45pm - Oct 31,10 
horseshoe , half moon,cigar, they all work just make sure you landing zone isnt to far out and that where they're landing is facing into the wind
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Oct 31,10 
Ill be honest here. I never have put decoys into a specific pattern. Having flown over fields with feeding geese in them and have come to the conclusion that placing them in patterns is not needed and just starts arguments with others in the party. More important is the placement of you blind and THE WIND. Also weather should be factored in as well. And not just the weather on the day you are hunting. Look at the weather for that night and the following day. If a storm is moving in you will see geese more on a line and competing for wast grain. It looks like a race to the end of the field. More times that not they will face the wind especialy if its over 10MPH but I have seen geese do funny things. And dont be afraid to get up and change things around if they seem to flair or want to land short just dont overthink it. I dont claim to know it all but these are a few of the things that works for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31am - Nov 1,10 
I agree with Birddog......everyone has this pocket , whole, opening facination....not needed! Location, location, location....wherer the field you pick to hunt is, where you put your blind or blinds, and the location of the decoys in the field are more of a factor then the pattern of the decoys.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:36am - Nov 1,10 
I would agree with the comments by others. Most important is to get in a spot whre you will have birds, then just make sure there is a good opening in your spread, regardless of pattern, that will allow birds plenty of room to land, and close enough to your blind for shots!

Also make sure to face most of your deks into the wind, as this is the way most birds will work a field landing, taking off, and feeding! And, as someone else posted, just go watch real geese so you get a true view of what they do, and take note of small details like wind direction, the size of family clusters, bird spacing, etc. when watching! :winker

Last edited by Captain Jim on 11:50am - Nov 1,10, edited 1 time in total.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:35am - Nov 1,10 
speaking of deeks i rather be hunting with a dozen with 11 feeders than 100 with there heads up!!!!!!!
duck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:03pm - Nov 1,10 
No pattern, just spread them out enough so they can land near ya. You don't want them so bunched up they are landing out of the kill zone.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42pm - Nov 1,10 
There's not great hunters, just good hunters with great access :lol: . It's like i've learned about turkey hunting, if your where they want to be you'll get them. I space them out 3-4' apart and use mostly feeder in a loose half circle. Place your feeders all behind you and to the head of the flock. As if the flock is feeding in that direction. Remember, the farther you are away from places where predators hide (fence rows, ditches) the better.

Geese are turning into my No. 1 pursuit. My spread consist of 1 doz full bodies (flocked heads), 2 doz shell feeders, and 2 doz Real Geese Pro 2. We've been doing quite well this set up.

Shannon

Navy-Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: