Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:25pm - Oct 31,10 
What type of goose calls does everyone use? I am new to the sport and I am looking for some easy calls to master first before I go on to the bigger & better ones!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:32pm - Oct 31,10 
if your just starting out big river makes a flute call that is easy to blow
http://www.basspro.com/Big-River-Game-C ... 5/-1041555 or
rich n tone makes one easy to blow
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... _THUMBNAIL
both are not that expensive and if blown correctly will give you all the calls you need to get em in close
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30pm - Oct 31,10 
Ill second that. I started on a big river and even though I blow a straight meat honker it is still on my lanyard as a backup or just to give em something different

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51pm - Oct 31,10 
I use a Canada Hammer II..... very easy to blow, would recommend as a first call.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Oct 31,10 
I use a canada hammer i use a fowlenemies call, a tim grounds super mag call i have a zink money maker and for my comp call i got a lynch mob call

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:23am - Nov 1,10 
Fishbreath.....One piece of advice from a call whore like myself......it's not the call, it's the person that puts the air into the call! The higher end calls are more like an instrument, easily to adjust. The lower end calls, cost less but don't have the adjustment in reed and tone board as the higher end calls. If your looking for a field call, all you really need to be able to do are clucks, moans and honks....all of which can be done on any of the above stated calls....and that's a fact! I blow a Tim Grounds acrylic super mag and a Mac Island Goose call with Tim Grounds guts.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:45pm - Nov 1,10 
Completely agree with GRN HEAD... the caller makes the call, not visa versa... My dad turns his own calls and i tune him up for him. i have been using them for YEARS and have killed just as many (if not more) geese then the guy who cant blow a call and goes and spends $200 on a TG Supermag.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41pm - Oct 8,11 
Getting back on point.... Knight and Hale's Pit Boss is an easy blowing call, the Big River flute is excellent for a beginners, and MallardTone's Goose Call is cheap but effective. These are my three go to goose calls for the season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:10am - Oct 9,11 
I have a question? Let's hear how many calls people have purchased, used and then sold before they found the call they like. Personally, I started with a Big River back in 1988, wish I would have started with a short reed, would have saved hundreds of dollars;-) THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BEGINER"S Call, it's based on what you can afford at the time you purchase your first call.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Naperville, IL 2001 Lund Pro V 2025 IFS White/Pewter 225 Yamaha T-8 Kicker

Post Posted: 08:02am - Oct 9,11 
I started out a long time ago with an Olt, then a Woods flute type call and now all I use is the short reed calls. It may be easier to start out with a flute type call, but I would not go that route again, knowing what I know now.

Once you have some experience and you learn how to use a short reed call you wont go back to anything else. The short reed calls are by far more versatile, you can change the volume much more based on conditions and you can tune them whereas many flute type calls are limited.

I've got a few sort reed calls and they all sound a bit different and I use each based on conditions, and the response of the birds. I have all Tim Grounds short reeds and was taught to use them by some very good callers when I was participating in the IDNR waterfowler education classes. I have a half breed, 2 Super Mag acrylics, and a Super Mag in Cocobolo and they all are tuned a bit differently. Day in and day out, if you can make the basic clucks, moans, and lay down call with a short reed you will have plenty of birds in range. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major manufacturers of short reed calls and learn to use it effectively. You will be much better served with the short reed call in the long run. By the way you can use them for snows, specks and as a locator call for turkey or crow calling as well....

Good luck and the most important thing is practice, practice, PRACTICE! I keep a call in the truck and use int to and from the office... I was out at the farm this AM watching the birds go over the field .... less than a week till it's time!

If a man is alone in the woods is he still wrong?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:52pm - Oct 10,11 
IMHO GREN HEAD you might have mis-spoke. Because of the Big River flute's ease of use and limited range of sounds, it inherently makes it a basic/beginner's call; thus meeting bloodsweatscales criterion. This is no different than a fly tyer starting off with a simple pattern (i.e. the pheasant tail nymph or the hare's ear nymph) and not jumping straight to an Atlantic salmon or spey pattern.
While I would completely agree that skill will greatly effect your use of a call, I would also like to point out that I have heard old timers that were horrible callers, and yet they have killed more birds than I will ever have a chance to shoot in my lifetime. Knowing when to call and when to shut up will do a greater service than mastery of double clucks, moans, mallard feed chuckles, etc.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:30am - Oct 12,11 
I think Eyeman and GRNHD are right on. If you're just starting out I would suggest starting with a short reed style call rather than a flute. More versatility and range of tone ect. Flutes including the big river are easier to use from the start for sure but make the swithc to a short reed more difficult. Start with a good short reed like the one's mentioned here and a good dvd like Honker Talk by Shaewn Stahl and or bad grammer from Tim Grounds and team.

You can master a flute first but doing so will make going on to better later harder. Since you have no experience starting with a short reed you can master it quicker and easier than learning all over again.

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: