Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:26pm - Nov 13,10 
Saltquacker,

Not to raise an argument, but if my math serves me correctly on your scenario, 4 geese in hand, 3 guys, then technically, 2 guys can still shoot because if you spread the 4 geese evenly, only one man is at his limit.

I do agree with the rule of "in doubt? don't shoot" especially after my trip to WI and having both Cans and Redheads around, once we got our Cans, we didn't even bother getting up on anything that resembled either. Which sucks, but is definitely not worth the risk.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Nov 13,10 
Your correct, then yes one guy should'nt shoot. And when the agent comes up and says who has reached their limit (and all 3 of you just shot) who gets the ticket. You know how it truly happens, everyone will shoot till all birds are in hand.

Saltquacker

Navy-Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:31pm - Nov 13,10 
Quail, thanks for posting the link to the hybrid geese. Looks like the goose GRN HEAD shot has a couple cousins on that website. Personally, I don't believe its a spec. I think its simply some form of a hybrid goose.
Salt, Its easy to arm chair quarter back this thing to death and dissect every word of the post but is it really necessary? If you have to apologize up front for a post that probably is a good indicator to use the PM function. Other than that, congrats on a fine hunt with you and your son.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:58pm - Nov 13,10 
No Pm function needed. In reading the responses to this it seemed that no ever questioned why someone would shoot something they can't ID. from what i hear of this man and read in his post, he's stand up just did'nt want to disrespect him. Only looking for honest dialog on how all of us can be better.

Admittedly, hunting alot in Virgina, (where Black Ducks are very common). I've made mistakes. But I'll give you a $1,000 if you can ID a Black over a Mallard 10 min after legal (or 20 for that matter). If i remotely questioned it though i held my shot.

Oh, and by the way, I shot early on the WI opener (0900 vice normal legal). I self reported.

Salt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40am - Nov 14,10 
Saltquacker...... I have NO issues with bird ID's! If you would have continued the research on my persona you would find that I'm an experienced hunter and professional guide. When I shot this goose and the text I used to describe the situation, it was supposed to be funny, not incriminating. The "sound" the goose was making, was one I've never heard! I've hunted these birds in 16 states and two countries! I'm in the field between 70-80 days a year! To someone like myself who's in the field as much as I am, an unusual goose like this one is a trophy. When I said I didn't give it a second chance, well at that point I had concluded it wasn't a goose that was NOT in season. In fact I was so sure that I made the mistake of putting it on the site to get an ID.

The result was a citation based on a picture that cannot prove positive it's a white fronted goose. I sent the picture to the state waterfowl biologist and he can't conclude it's a white fronted goose, a juvi at that! Yet, the DNR officer could by looking at the pictures I posted, same pictures I sent to Mr. Marshalla. So, could the DNR officer have made a mistake and joined the crowed on the site that ID the bird as a Juvi Spec? I would believe so, since the first thing he showed me was the post on his lap top in the truck! I guess he'll have to prove it in court.

Salt, still looking not to disrespect me because you have a funny way of doing so here on the forum. It's like the person above said, if you have to start with "please forgive me", it might be a form of disrespect! So, if you really want to know how to do it right, keep your judgement phrases to yourself!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Nov 14,10 
Never said you did. And if you truly thought it was an imature snow, which were in season then I Apoligize and will look at your words better. guess i read, for mutiple days without responding, as a shoot first and ID latter thing.

IMO, and only MO and in my blind, being that I've hunted waterfowl in numerous states over many years and made some mistakes. Also being the fact that season wasn't open for everything I would not have shot this bird but concentrated on the known canadas around it. Now, if it came in first pass and was an incidental kill, then integrity kicks in.

Again I apoligize.

v/r
Salt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00pm - Nov 14,10 
I am going to say thanks for the post Grn Head, considering it is a difficult bird to identify, I hope they give you a break this time for your honesty. :winker

Regardless of the actual outcome here, you are certainly an honest and ethical sportsman. :thanks Even better sportsman than before this happened, right?

In defense of Salt, his point is a good one we should all think about when in doubt. If not sure, possatively sure what a bird is, we shouldn't be taking the shot. It's only one goose! This post has certainly caused me to read and understand better, the differences and various crosses in the goose family I have given little thought to before this post! :shock

Thanks to everyone for the contributions. Use this as a learning experience folks.

Best of luck Grn Head! :gpost

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06am - Nov 15,10 
long story short "DONT SHOOT IF YOU CANT ID THE BIRD". if its 10 min after shooting time and all you see is flying shadows then dont shoot. if its 60min. after sunrise and you still cant id the bird then go to local library and read a bird book

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:51pm - Nov 15,10 
headshot....I could see the bird just fine! I also ID the bird as a non migratory bird! The short of the story is I came here for help IDing a bird, posted a pic and got a ticket! All based on pictures I took and posted. Many of the experts here started posting it was a juvi spec. Well, low and behold even our state waterfowl biologist cannot conclusively ID it. Can we say maybe a lynch mob? LOL

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46am - Nov 16,10 
In your own words, in your own post, you claimed you were unsure what it was on first pass, and then took the bird on the second. Although it may not be migratory, you still took the shot on a bird you really could not ID, even though you could see it. Am I correct in saying this Grn Head? :?

I think that is why the mob came out, and maybe why you were written a ticket? You admitted you don't know what the bird is, correct? Hence the post in the first place, correct?

I hope you get a break on this one,especially if the state biologist can't make a possitive ID. I'll also bet you and many of us here have learned something from your experience. Keep it possitive, as I know you certainly will not make that mistake again, and many of us who think we are perfect, won't either! :winker

At least this was a judgment mistake, not an unsafe judgement mistake. Enough said, once again, hope it works itself out in your favor, and I hope they let you keep that barnyard goose, and it doesn't go to waste. Best of luck GRN Head!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45am - Nov 16,10 
So if no one can ID it, then what are you guilty of? Id get a refund if I were you. Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Nov 16,10 
Captain Jim.....the only mistake I made was my choice of words and posting it on this site. FYI, farm geese are in season and so are cross breeds;-) That's what ID, my post and pics were merely to share it with others and get some input.

Here's one of the emails I received regarding this goose. This gentleman's name is Shawn Stahl an expert of bird identification; "That is 100% not an immature speck!!! It is a cross breed and I would say with a Canada goose. If it was a speck it would be lots smaller lack all markings of an adult. This has markings that are of neither. I have shot a cross before."

Would you be the same Capt. Jim who used to hunt of the corner of Rt. 60 and Peterson Rd.?

Thanks Mop....

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04am - Nov 17,10 
Funny you asked that question. :D

Nothing but homes there now! I believe I have hunted there before! :wink:

I'm with Mops, you deserve a refund, and apology if the State can't positively ID that bird! What the shmit! :?

I know a guy who still hunts on the west side of the road there. :wink:
I have a great spot on water, but I am looking for a field in Lake Co, send me a PM if you can help GRN HEAD! Or if you need an extra gun. I'm close by. :thanks

Again, good luck dealing with this one, you deserve a break in my opinion, based on your comments. :wink:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Nov 18,10 
GRN Hd, I cannot see how they could issue you a ticket with those pictures as evidence, and would like to bet the charges will be dismissed. I would also like to commend you on turning yourself in, I don't think many waterfowlers would.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:07am - Nov 19,10 
Migrator...nice!;-) It's Rhino to you! lol

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35am - Dec 15,10 
DISMISSED!!!!!!!! 12/14/10

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42am - Dec 15,10 
Congrats!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Dec 15,10 
Glad to hear this news GRN HEAD!

Still hard to believe they took the time to go write you the ticket. :?

Thanks for the update, glad it worked out in your favor.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - Dec 15,10 
Two of the best words in the english language "case dismissed". :rotflmao :bigyuck
congrats GRN Head. Sooo at the risk of starting another bunch of crap. How did it taste?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Dec 19,10 
I tasted like owl.. :)

Congrats GRN HD. Glad you didin't get a ticket and hope you kill many more half breeds!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: