Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46pm - Mar 18,18 
:drink It was that time of season....last ice....I really enjoy this time of year...most shacks are gone...very few panfisherman to compete with for prime areas...and the temps usually go up so the minimum of gear is needed to be comfortable out there...lot's of guy's are reporting open water results and I just looked at the calendar and again we were robbed of a decent winter....so heading north has become more normal for me..well, as we look back we were probably 2-3 weekends too early....temps were at 3º most mornings and rose to near 35-40 each day....perfect for huntin....ice was 20+ inches everywhere we checked....with some areas having a little bit too much snow.... we never thought to check 1 or 2 weeks ago what happened up there....snow made some areas just impossible to hunt effectively...we really like to be mobile and cover ice until we find fish....we researched several bodies of water to search...and found great potential in many out of the way hotspots....guess they will have to wait...we did a trec that stretched from Green bay to Sturgeonbay,around the horn to Mercer,than retreated to Wausau...not our best trip for numbers or size....but we were out on safe ice playing around once again...and that is a blast in itself...

time to check baits and depth settings
two flags went up....but didn't score...

this is what we were after...caught by someone else... :respect

another fish from someone other than me :cuss :doh
in between flags....time to recharge 8)~

almost had him...off at the hole :scared
conditions were perfect ...but the activity level of the fish...well they were still in the mid winter blues... :oops:
tried for walleye....but got denied at the last minute...but I did get a few ....minnows???

they sure fight good for their size.....just not a walleye.... :doh :doh

he looks sooooo happy doesn't he.....wow look there's the sun Any...nope he's busy jigging :lol:

until the sun sets....jig and move...jig and move...dam he never gets tired....

next on the list ...Mercer...crappie and bluegill...ended up with several large rockbass,perch ,bluegill,and afew crappie....certainly not the numbers we hoped for....moving in the snow was a chore and we found great spots...the crappie failed to show.... :?

I just have to get me one of these grease slappers.....so nice :respect

find the mark ....drop to the mark.....catch the mark.....hey where's mark....MARKO...POLO

almost ran out of auger before braking through....lot's of snow.....did I mention the snow.... :twisted:

Then it was further south for ease of travel....(in Mercer once you got off the snowmobile path we had trouble) we saw the vehicles we new travel would be better....well at least easier....never been here...and the info we had was 3-4 weeks old....but just had to try

and lakes less than 2 hours south were completely open...wow what a winter...

Last edited by Crappie Professor on 09:13am - Mar 19,18, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23pm - Mar 18,18 
:drink will put more up in the A.M.....just got back from watching game with my buddy,and I'm shell shocked....hat-trick...then choke...Dammit... :crazy :crazy :crazy

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39pm - Mar 18,18 
Always intrigued by your reports Professor!!! :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34am - Mar 19,18 
:drink Well as always I think of things after the trip...what could we have tried....where should we have tried....I guess we could call it "lessons learned"...all that goes into the folder for next trip...or next year...most important is a gear check before leaving the lake/launch....I either left some gear at our last spot...or it fell out as we came in...lesson learned...we should narrow our search ....instead of numerous spots/lakes...make a shorter list of just 2-3...hitting multiple lakes in a day is very hard to accomplish....unless we had more time and free lodging... :winker...and of course a quick check of conditions on a source near where we're headed...we checked weather....but never called to hear of the difficulty of travel on most lakes...and bring a shovel....when you need it ...it's worth it's weight in gold...

Support Staff

Post Posted: 10:22am - Mar 19,18 
If I didn't have chains on my machine, I know I would have been in the same boat as the fella in that photo.
Looks like he has on his machine what Scout would call, "Too much gear!"
Oh my, look what the lone Mohawk found to conquer..

I have been away since last fall, building a place in the Catskill mountains and must now return for awhile to complete my project but it was just a pleasure to be home and spend some time on the ice and enjoy it with a good friend and such a great fisherman.
Thanks Jim

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Mar 19,18 
Glad to see Scout still making it out on the ice. Thought maybe he retired after last season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Mar 19,18 
:drink Weird thing was ... there were 4-5 dead pigeons in a small area....not bloody....just look to be frozen...perhaps some wayward racing pigeons....bizarre

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: