Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32pm - Jan 19,18 
Fished Mazonia (Ponderosa) Thursday. 6"-7" of good clear ice everywhere we went. 3" of snow on top- although conditions may have changed a bit with warm Friday. Maybe 30 6"-7" gills with 1 or 2 8". Caught a big bass and a few smaller bass as well. You all know North unit is closed for ice fishing until Feb 15th (hunting). A complete joke- gates were locked all day and the road had not been plowed. Basically just put a stop to ice fishing the best water for no reason. Glad we have these loser govt. types running our lives for us and telling us what we can and can't do, and glad I'm moving to Wisconsin. Good luck to all Illinois ice fishermen. I guess with the warming winters it really won't matter soon anyway.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Jan 19,18 
Thanks for your report. I was planning on making a trip to pondo soon enough. But, i was waiting on some new gear from u.p.s. and Saturday I’ll be out at the Snow Festival sledding with the twins. Hopefully the snow holds up a little longer so they can have some fun. Did you see any open water out there? I remember of one “spring hole” that would open up regularly.
I second your comment on the N unit. I’m sure there are many of us out there that feel the same way.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27am - Jan 20,18 
is the north unit the best water in state of illinois or just in the northern part of illinois ?? looking to fill the freezer this spring !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:44pm - Jan 21,18 
Went to Mazonia for the first time today.The DNR was helpful where to fish.
Ice fishing-6 a.m. to 4 p.m..
Back roads were sloppy,made a mess of my truck.
4/5 in. of ice ,cleats needed to get around.
I only fished for a hour( I think pondo),a few other guys were out. I found no fish,again,my first time there.I do look forward to trying again!

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: