Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44pm - Jan 8,11 
First time ice fishing up at school on the lakes around the campus. Having only fished them from shore, what would you concentrate your time on when ice fishing them. Brush/fallen trees, weeds if there are any?, deepest point in pond (most around 10 acres so guessing ~15' depth range), drop offs. Most likely will be the only one on the ponds so no one to ask. Thanks for the help.

"3/4 of the Earth is made of water. Does that mean were suppose to spend 3/4 of our time on the water?"

UW-Platteville Bass Angler's President
-FLW College Fishing
-St. Croix Rod's
-Gander Mountain

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:47am - Jan 9,11 
Me and my buddy like to fish a lot of different lakes. A lot of them we have never even fished in open water. First be prepared to drill a lot of holes. Don't expect to drill 2 holes and hammer them. If you do even better. Having a vexlar is the most important thing involved. Find a depth contour of the section of lake you plan on fishing. Then think of your target species. Most of the time gills aren't deeper than 12 ft of water. For gills find whatever weeds you can and fish right above them. You said something about fallen trees they might be good but most of the time there in too shallow of water where we fish. Might be different by you. Crappies can be anywhere if there is deeper water around look for them suspended about 1/2 way down to the bottom in the water column. I like to fish 12-15 ft of water. Vexlar is key for this type of fishing. For bass and pike look on the depth break and fish the shallow side of it. We tip up fish a lot and most of the time we set out tip ups in 6-12 ft of water. Put the bait about 6-8 inches off the bottom again a vexlar is key to do this. I don't know where you go to school but I am sure you have these species in the lake. Hopefully this helps you some.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:45am - Jan 9,11 
on a lot of the local waters, the crappies will suspend in the main basin of the lake starting in late fall, and will stay there most of the winter. the bigger blugills typically do one of two things. stay close to bottom in deep water or near cribs, or will stay in fresh green weeds in 8ft of water or less. this enables you to sight fish them, which provides a very educational and fun experience.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 11:56am - Jan 9,11 
Do you have contour maps of the lakes? If not, take a look at Google maps or some other satellite map, and see if you can locate any weed flats, humps, and drops.

On unfamiliar lakes, I would start in the shallows looking for green weeds. Fish the holes and edges. Brush piles can be good as well if, like Capt. Ralph mentioned they are deep enough. Treat docks the same. Then I would check out the primary break, both shallow and deep side. Definately check out points, both outside and inside turns. Then, mainlake basin. Like mentioned don't forget to check for suspenders. Also, don't just drop the flasher i a hole, be sure to but a bait down. Many times you will bring fish into the cone.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:24pm - Jan 9,11 
Drill baby drill and flash the holes. That has been the key for me.

First we turn the lake into swiss cheese. Drill in a zig zag pattern. Another guy follows and cleans the holes and mark them with the Marcum. Next we right the depth the snow and X for possible weeds or fish.

After that we study the pattern. Was it 4 fow, 6 fow, 3 fow than 12? Was it no weeds no fish in 4 7 12 and possible weeds in 8 and 10? Once we decide what looks best we make more holes and put in tip ups and or start to jig. If that doesn't work we go to plan B etc.

Some of the dead holes can be great. Many times we have marked weeds and fish and had nothing than dropped a jig down a empty hold and watched fish come up the flasher and light it up like a christmas tree.

Early Ice, Mid Ice, and Late all can act differently... so you need to understand that as well.

Also have two rods with you. At times you can see the gills gather and pick at a bait, a deep red will pop up in the flasher and the fish disappear. At times this means a bigger fish, switch up on the dime and throw a jigging rap or some thing larger and at times you'll pull in that big boy.

Hope that helps.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:39pm - Jan 9,11 
Got out today on the pond. Fished in 10' where I marked fish. Fishing was slow, marked a lot but most were sniffers, and would slip back to the bottom. Ended up with a gill, perch, and crappie. All released. Have a little better idea on the lake now, but would have been easier to scout the lake early ice, rather than 12-14" of ice, made drilling holes a pain but worth it not getting skunked. Any one have success using the gulp alive minnows in the winter? Second lake I walked on had dead crappie minnows on it scattered around a few holes, but don't get out enough at school to buy minnows so have to go with gulp minnows.

"3/4 of the Earth is made of water. Does that mean were suppose to spend 3/4 of our time on the water?"

UW-Platteville Bass Angler's President
-FLW College Fishing
-St. Croix Rod's
-Gander Mountain

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:42pm - Jan 9,11 
Instead of Gulp minnows, I'd get ahold of some small whip-type ice fishing plastics to keep around when you're baitless. Nice job finding some fish on a new body of water, always rewarding!

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: