Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54pm - Jan 8,11 
I went back up north with Brett Alexander and his guide service and rocked the fish hard. In 3 days of fishing 4 of us landed about 250 Whitefish. We kept our limit everyday and released the rest. Most of the keepers were 2-3lbs with a bigger one every once in a while. We were using gold jigging spoon tipped with wax worms. We tried for Walleyes but due to ice thickness we were limited were we could go. I would highly recommend going on this trip. Its great, they pick you up on Polaris Rangers drive you out to the 10 X 14 heated ice shacks and you start wacking fish. Anyone can do this trip.

Also they do put safety first before I left I was seeing all the reports of unsafe ice and all the problems everyone was having and Brett promised me that the ice was safe and everything was going great and he was telling the truth. Not everywhere was safe but where they were fishing was 10-30 inchs of ice.

Check out there site. www.icefishgreenbay.com Brett's main helper is a guy named Lonny. This guy worked hard, he kept us on fish everyday. If you head up there meet this guy he will teach you how to wack them.

Good luck. I put a bunch of pic on my site.

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:52pm - Jan 8,11 
Ralph, how is the ice looking for vehicle travel once it thickens? Are there large shards jutting up everywhere you look and numerous heaves or is this only in certain areas?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57pm - Jan 8,11 
Ralph, :thanks for the report.

Nice to hear that you had a great year.

I just finished checking out your web site and I must say you have one of, if not the best, informative sites around. Great pictures.

Hope that you have another great year.

Semper Fidelis
and
God Bless America

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24pm - Jan 8,11 
Ice in alot of places is very safe for trucks some places just four wheelers and other ice machines. Its hard for me to say I am not up there everyday. I do know that some places we were had 30 plus inchs other places had 6 inchs of ice. Its all shelf ice packed together that froze. I was near Stevenson's Pier. I know there is a gas station/ baitshop right there. I am sure they would give you ice reports before you went. I don't know their number but I am sure you could find it pretty easy.

Phil,

Thanks for the positive comments about the site. I try my best to keep it up to date. I know this year is going to be great again. I can't wait. I still have my boat for sale if you know anyone. I am willing to wheel and deal at this point.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:42pm - Jan 9,11 
Ralph,

Just wanted to echo N9Phil's compliments about your website. I fish out of Portage and appreciate your postings.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Jan 10,11 
Ralph;

Glad to hear that you had a great time with Bret again. Yes, Lonney works his butt off.

Bill, I fished it yesterday and there was a S-10 Blazer that went through on Saturday. I caution everyone - if you don't know how thick the ice is, don't drive on it. Shovel ice everwhere. It's not going to be an easy travel year up there. Also cracks opening up all the time out there, including on Sunday.

Otherwise, our crew had over 100 whitefish on Sunday morning fishing with Bret. Also got perch, walleye, smelt, gobies and a lone mud puppy. Great time on the ice.

Steve

Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Jan 10,11 
Quote:
Shovel ice everywhere. It's not going to be an easy travel year up there.

That's what I was wondering about. Stroschein included a walleye video in an email last week and it looked as though the ice was just a mess.
Are others reporting seeing a lot of smelt in the area?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:32pm - Jan 10,11 
I was fishing the same area as Dale and I never saw anyone catch or heard of any walleyes caught. In fact we fished for them prime time early and late with no success. The ice was a mess in certain areas and other places were flat.

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:04pm - Jan 10,11 
Here is the video Ralph.
Shot in Riley's Bay for certain with Snake Island in the background.
Shot on the 4th or 5th according to my mail.

For those who don't know;
Bait, current information and supplies can be had at the Southwest end of Little Sturgeon.
Stevenson's Pier
(920) 824-5222

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:54am - Jan 11,11 
Dang it. I hate it when the ice gets like that up dere! Seems to be happening more frequently also.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00am - Jan 11,11 
Saw a fair amount of smelt on Sunday morning about a foot under the ice. Caught 3 in about 15 minutes.

Tons of shad in that area throughout the water column. Had the camera down for a good portion of the time and often saw more shad than whitefish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:02pm - Jan 11,11 
How far out did you have to go? I don't have the cash for a guided trip, I've got everything but an atv or snowmobile, is it walkable or are the machines a must?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34pm - Jan 11,11 
By the time you walk or figure out where too walk you will be wishing you have a hut and snow mobile ride out. it's a long long way. It's only 35 dollars a guy ( based on 4 guys).

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16pm - Jan 12,11 
I don't have three other guys I'm going with, otherwise I would do a rental! I was told it would be about a half mile walk out, once again, I've never ice fished it, only open water at the southern tip of green bay. Any insight is appreciated!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54pm - Jan 12,11 
No B.S. - I'd be willing to head up there for a two/three days and split the guide, room costs etc. as long as its reasonable. Send me a p.m. if you're interested.
:thanks

Support Staff

Post Posted: 10:12pm - Jan 12,11 
If you have a map of the area, look at Riley's Point, which separates Riley's Bay from Little Sturgeon. You can park at the landing, which is at the base of Riley's Bay and walk out from it or park at the Sunset Bar and Grill and then walk through the channel onto Riley's Bay. The whitefish will be off of the end of Riley's Point and you are looking at about a half mile walk from the channel leading to Sunset.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:55pm - Jan 13,11 
I appreciate the offer for the split, I made arrangements for an "ice taxi" to take us out & bring us back in. I'll post our results next week. I appreciate the help & suggestions.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: