Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Jan 7,11 
Gentleman,

I was working on a plan to fish Pistakee this weekend. I realize alot of folks have been out, read lots of reports and sometimes they are on and off. Cloud cover, time of day, pressure, bait color, action and a mutitude of other things can effect the overall outcome. I decided to look at a more "scientific" approach by surveying the lake county area using some google earth maps and trying to overlay some depth maps. It appears the largest weed area in pistakee is opposite side of the normal entry point and the crowd goes closest to that point vs farthest and I would agree that is easiest but for those without some wheels makes sense to be on the side closest to launch area. My question is to seasoned Pistakee veterans, I am not, I have never had my boat there (I say seasoned but anyone can chime in on if my thought process is acurate or not). My goal (as I am sure Most is) too find concentrated weeds on some type of break in 10-16ft of water. See map below. It would appear that this concentrated weed area is close to 10-20 ft of water when I lay a map over. I could be totally off but it cant hurt to take the ATV over their away from the crowd, pop some holes and check it out. Does this logic seem accurate and anyone who has been in this area and knows its a bust please let me know as this is my plan for tomorrow evening or Sun a.m.

It doesnt look as clear in the pic but straight to the left across the bay is Oak Park Lounge and where the boat is (north of Pin) was more where I was thinking.

Thanks, Mike

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 11:24am - Jan 8,11 
Mike, I like your approach.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07am - Jan 10,11 
My best laid plans were altered on Sunday when I got out. Due to some time constraints I went with my back-up plan and fished Bangs Lake. Was out from arond 2pm-5:30. I set up in 10FOW. Plenty of action but most of the gills I caught were fairly small. Caught 8 crappies and they all came on split shot, small red hook and minnows lip hooked. The gills came on lil atom purple jig with waxie. Didnt get a single flag on my tip-up rigged with a Large roach. Tip-up fishing has me puzzled, I put one out everytime out and maybe 10% of the time I get a flag and land one. However, in 40 years I never used a tip-up until Last year. The only pic worthy fish was an 11" crappie at 3:30.

Travelling this week, so next opportunity not til Fri night or Sunday as Saturday is booked!

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: