Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22pm - Jan 6,11 
I have been wanting to get out on the chain or fish some of the forest preserves busse, mallard, blackwell, west branch does anyone have any tips they would be willing to share looking to lake a first ice pike or walleye

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45pm - Jan 6,11 
If you are looking for your first of those, I wouldn't recommend Busse or Mallard at all. Both are tough lakes to fish on the ice with very little vegetation and mostly just flat bottoms. Blackwell would be your best bet for Walleye or bass, haven't seen pike out there but have heard of a lot of decent ones there. Only negative to Blackwell is you can only use 1 tipup if you rod fish but you will find quite a few crappie too. I've had my most luck for pike so far up at Sand Lake myself but not much size to them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50pm - Jan 6,11 
All dupage lakes allow 2 rods, tip ups or any variation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:19am - Jan 7,11 
Correct

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:39am - Jan 7,11 
mchenry county forest preserves are also a 2 line limit............just a FYI..................... :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:51am - Jan 7,11 
If you want Pike - and distance is an issue I would try Bangs but I do most of my Pike fishing on Lake Delevan in WI and anlgers that have fished it know there are some gaints in there. As for Walleyes they are hard to come by on the chain. I dont target them but do catch them by accidant when fishign for white bass. Lake Marie and Fox Lake are your best options but Spring Lake does produce also.. Fox Lake in my opinion holds the bigger eyes. Last year we caught a few in the 20's" and a few over 25" but I've seen 30+ inchers pulled out of there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:58am - Jan 7,11 
I agree regarding Bangs for nortons. The weed flats from Wauconda Boat all the way around to past Lindy's have produced pretty consistently. The weeds are thick and plentiful so look for a gap in them and set a tipdown on the hole. That has been easier since the melt/re-freeze as the ice has been clear enough to see where the gaps and channels in the weeds are. If you can't see through, drill a bunch of holes and look down them until you get what you're looking for. I don't generally target pike there, so I don't have any helpful hints on bait or rigs. remember there is a 6" minimum length on gills but there is no minimum size for perch, in case you like to use those for bait. I can tell you that in my last few trips there when someone has been targeting pike, I have seen at least 2-3 pulled out and many more flags.

Another strategy would be to look for Popeye or Luckydog. Those guys are panfish machines, so if they aren't catching gills and crappies, put a tipup right between them and you'll likely get the pike that's chasing away their pannies. But hurry before Bud jigs him up!

If I were looking for eyes, I would slap a tracking device to Esox Tracker's vehicle and stalk him! The "Esox" thing is just to throw you off the scent.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10am - Jan 7,11 
Thanks for all of the advice I wish I could use my pm's to respond to those who have offered to show me a thing or two ice fishing hopefully I can use it soon! I have fished delavan during the summer caught pike up to 38" and bass up to 22" even caught some walleyes love that lake cant wait til spawn for delavan and geneva this spring but I want to get some of these fish thru the ICE!

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: