Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Jan 6,11 
Didn't do as much hole hopping as we planned on doing. Wind was pretty gusty which made it a bit chilly to be without the shelter. I ended up pretty close to where I was on Sunday. Brought home 7 Gills, 2 Crappie and 2 Perch. Luckydog contributed a gill and a perch to my bucket. While I was sitting there minding my own business, trying to coax a fish into biting, I hear, "Frank, Help!". I unzip the back of my shelter to see Luckydog has a fish on, but it wasn't really bent over so I figured he had a big gill. He asked for me to come over as it was a huge fish and he needed help. So I unzipped the back door the rest of the way and climbed out. (note to self, NEVER leave your shanty unattended with the back door open facing into the wind on slick, snowless ice). I get over there and he says it's a Northern, nearly 3 feet long. All of a sudden, there it was at the hole. Bud says "Grab it!". I said "But that Fckr has huge teeth". He said "That's OK, just grab it and don't break my 2 pound test line". So after a couple mis-grabs, Bud gets it's head up in the hole long enough for me to grab it. I took a picture for him and while we were looking at the image, My shanty starts to blow away, It ran over my Lowrance, 2 fishing poles and a bucket, spilling the contents of said bucket on the ice, of which were 2 foam blocks with 40 of my pre-rigged jigs. They didn't go that far, but far enough to put a bit of a damper on Bud's catch. The Northern measured out at 28" (I think that's what he said). As soon as I got my shelter set back up and that huge predator was gone, the panfish turned on. I had 2 back to back 8.5 inchers and an 8 incher shortly there after. Plenty of throw backs too.

The haul:

Yes, I know that is a 10 inch ruler. The Perch bowed up as I took the picture, she was a tad longer than the Gill.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:13pm - Jan 6,11 
I didn't have much luck with panfish today. Only caught a few under sized gills and did manage to give Popeye one pumkinseed @ 7 1/2" and a 6 15/16" perch. Popeye went home with a nice bucket of fish that included perch, gills and crappie.

My highlight for the day was catching a 28" Northern on a jigging stick with 3 lb. line. A big thanks to Popeye for helping me land the fish. (He actually pulled it from the hole while I kept tension on the line) Here are some pics:

The fish swam away to fight another day. Great day on the water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24pm - Jan 6,11 
Great stuff guyz. I gotta get up there.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:31pm - Jan 6,11 
Nice FISH!!!!!!!!!!!! :allah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39pm - Jan 6,11 
Nice mixed bag o fish. They look mighty tasty........ :goodjob

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47pm - Jan 6,11 
you guys did great today!!! good job!!! Teamwork paid off with that pike!!!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:32pm - Jan 6,11 
Nice fish must of been a blast catching on such lite tackle!! Could only imagine with some of the fights the crappies have been giving me!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:30am - Jan 7,11 
Way to go guys. I called Bud around the time you started slamming them Frank. He said up until he got that nasty norton out of the way, you guys were having a slow day. Glad things turned around. I'll be out there Saturday, although I found out I'll have to miss the night assault due to my wife's company party. By the way, thanks for securing the Fireball!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:38am - Jan 7,11 
Ralph,

You had a hand in our success today. The Northern hit one of the larger minnows you gave me; Popeye"s 10 1/2" crappie also came on one of your minnows. Way to pay it forward :thanks

LD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:43am - Jan 7,11 
luckydog, nice pike. were you jiggin that minnow or deadstickin? ............... :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:46am - Jan 7,11 
Alrighty then! Glad to be a part of the fun, even if it was from the train. By the way, I rigged up a new tip down that will be a little sturdier (I hope). Can't wait to try it out Saturday. Bud, if you don't make it out I'll run by the house on the way out for the Fireball exchange.

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 05:11am - Jan 7,11 
Nice feeshes!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:47am - Jan 7,11 
Way to go fellas. :respect

Don't know if I want to have to start a good bite by letting my shanty slide and dump all my stuff on the ice to stir them up though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:18am - Jan 7,11 
Frank,
My plans quickly changed yesterday as my little guy I was brining with was
looking mighty frosty and shivering. It was going to be a disaster for me
watching him and hearing the wining! :twisted:

Frank, Bud,

Good job and even with your incident Frank, sounds like a lot of fun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45am - Jan 7,11 
Fanfreakintastic catch! I hope their still there on Saturday afternoon! Is this fireball a "spirit" thingy?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:52am - Jan 7,11 
Icehawg,

I was in the process of setting up my Automatic Fisherman. I was going to fish the minnow 6' from the bottom in hopes of catching some suspended crappie. While dropping the minnow I saw a LARGE red mark on the Vex that was 4' from the bottom. Since I had the rod in my hand, I just dropped the minnow a few more feet. The first hit was instantaneous. Unfortunately, during the fight, the line got wrapped around the Vex transducer puck and the the fish got away. After a few choice phrases (Frank was laughing at me and said there's no swearing in fishing) I started to put the minnow back down. The big red mark reappeared, I put the minnow on his head and the second time he came to the hole. I seriously doubt that I could have landed the fish without Franks help.

LD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21am - Jan 7,11 
Nice Pike LD. It must been a blast fighting it on the short stick and props for landing it too on light line :allah. I've always get snapped off but one day it will be my time. I get that alot in Delevan fishing for panfish and since I sight for them you can imagine my heart bumpping when a 40" pike rolls up to my jig :shock.

I wasnt able to make it our last night. I got tide up at work. :cuss

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29pm - Jan 7,11 
Nice fish guys. What were you jigging with to catch those nice gills?? I need to get some time on Bangs before the WOW Derby.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:53pm - Jan 7,11 
damn bud you keep up like that and i'll start having to bring the gaff. you and pops had a hell of a day out there! looks like pops will be eating well tonight! those were some nice fish you guys took.
dd

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Jan 7,11 
For dinner I had a left over pork chop, rice and whole kernel corn. Gonna save the fishes for another day.

I was using a chartreuse Atomic Ant with chartreuse legs and 2 spikes before it got dark and then the glow tear drop jig with a waxie took over. The larger Crappie came on a minnow on the tear drop jig. The best way to entice them was to drop the jig to just below the top of the weeds, jig it up to about a foot above them and then when something popped up, jig it up another foot or so and then drop it, stopping just above the tops of the weeds.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: