Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:31pm - Jan 5,11 
Anyone ever use a fish TV brand camera? I have a few xmas G.C's and was thinking about a camera. I have a Lowrance M68, it has a flasher and a finder on it, so the camera would probably just be to see bottom structure or schools? Are they worth it? and have you used a fish tv brand, how do they compare to other brands?

thanks.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:11am - Jan 6,11 
Have not used that brand, but we do have a camera. They are useful tools, but we typically only use ours to locate spots (weeds/structure, etc). Sometimes they're nice for dropping down on a school of marks to check species (especially on the chain where you can sit over a school of drum for hours thinking they're crappies). If you take the time to set it up to watch your jig, it's pretty cool but time consuming. It limits your mobility, but is another use at least. I like to set it up in one hole, and leave it there when I hole hop.

If you're looking for a new toy, I'd also consider a hand-held GPS depending on the waters you fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:02am - Jan 6,11 
I have the 7 my wife gave me for a gift a couple years ago. Are they worth it? It is something nice to have in the sled and keeps the kids going when fishing is slow. The best times I have used it are in deeper, clear lakes, rigged to look straight down, the clearer the lake the farther off the bottom you can suspend it and thus the bigger the veiwing cone. There are days that I don't use it much but like stated before if you keep seeing fish on the vex and aren't getting the hits it will help you identify what is down there. One thing to note also when using it in the shallower lakes with low vis the fish will look huge and out of proportion since they are so close to the lens. I can not really say on weather or not it seems to bother the fish, we have seen plenty of fish on it. The IR lights that it has may spook the fish just as I have had IR cameras spook Deer and other game in the field even though they are advertised to not spook game. The Battery Pack seems to be pretty good but I use it hooked up to my 12v that I have the graph hooked up to most of the time. Good Luck

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:07am - Jan 6,11 
The thing I really dislike about my camera (a Marcum, not the Aquaview) is the cable memory. It is such a pain the the butt, that unless someone is with me and makes me use it, I leave it in my sled. I wish they had a cable as supple as those used on the flashers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50pm - Jan 6,11 
I have one and like it.For the price it dose the job.It`s nice to see what type of bottom your working with.It gets frustrating sometimes to see the finned critters swim up to your bait and just stop and look at it ,but it helps to keep thing interesting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07pm - Jan 6,11 
I have a fish cam from menards and like it just as good picture as my buddies auqaview and the cable stays flexible

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Jan 6,11 
I have and enjoy it fun to watch bait on screen end see how fish react not real good in low visibility conds 4 years of dragging around still works great even used during summer i would recomend having one

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07pm - Jan 6,11 
I have a aquaview and at first when I got it all I did was look in the thing and not fish. It is a great time killer when fishing is slow, but in clear lakes I have dropped it in and seen fish 10 feet over hanging in some odd ball structure. It is nice to look into and find some trees or some placed brush piles or weed edges. I have also found two stolen cars that were in the water, used it to read the plates that was pretty cool. As far as a tool it can be useful but I would get a vexlar or some sort of flasher before I get a camera. In my case I got the camera first and vexlal second, but it is a nice time killer and I have seen some really cool stuff.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27pm - Jan 6,11 
I have the Menards camera as well got in for $50 cant beat it. worked well in the open water and ice but i have a large problem i just took it back out after a few months and the charger wont work so its power less if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: