Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Jan 4,11 
Guys,
Typed a long discertation, which somehow I lost. The gist of the question was:

It seems to cost alot for bait during Ice. How do you preserve you minnows/roaches/suckers during Ice season? I seem to buy everytime out $20 worth, so I have options and wind up buying a week later. I cant seem to keep baits alive for the once a week I go out. I currently use a Frabil insulated bucket for wet baits(minnows/roach) and bait pucks for dry baits.

What do you use to preserve baits? Tricks/temps, or is a week too long?

One of my biggest problems is that I dont want to be short so I wind up buying the following and wasting the majority:

spike (red/white)
crap minnows
Roaches
waxies
I would think this is normal but it does occur where you nail them on plastics and you have a decision on what to do with baits above.

Thanks, Mike

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:17pm - Jan 4,11 
Spikes live in the fridge, (used to get them by the 1000's and use them all summer too)

Crawlers reside by the spikes.........

Minnows are in a big cooler in the garage with a filter running (had some for more than 6mo.) Grandkids love to feed them when they visit.

Waxies in the bait puck stored in the workbench.

It does help to NOT put them in your mouth to get them all wiggly when it's real cold. :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34pm - Jan 4,11 
For my minnows & roaches I keep them in an insulated bait buckets with an aerator in my un-heated garage. I keep another bait bucket filled with clean water & when one bucket gets dirty I switch the bait to the other bucket & drop the aerator in. Crawlers, spikes, waxies just like WSJ

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:46pm - Jan 4,11 
took a regular small Coleman cooler and drilled a hole for a aerator hose in the top, keep it on the deck only bring it in when the water starts to freeze change the water every couple days, keeps minnies and roaches good. use bait pucks for waxies and spikes but get confused over which get s refrigerated ? left the spikes out and they died? which goes where?
dd

Support Staff

Post Posted: 10:48pm - Jan 4,11 
If it is a wiggling bait, when on the ice, keep it in your mouth, right between your lip and your gum.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14pm - Jan 4,11 
Deres just aint nothing more fun than a mouth full between your cheek and gum! Ain't it so!
Da-Roc
Indiana chapter President of the Panphish reapers!
I am off that tournament trail when we doin som panphish reapin?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:25am - Jan 5,11 
Yeah for the minnows you need to replace with real cold water. I keep mine in the garage also and they keep all season. Waxies and spikes also.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:41am - Jan 5,11 
Might be that if you have municipal water supply with chlorinated water you should let the water sit for a few hours to let the chlorine dissipate prior to putting minnows in it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Jan 5,11 
Weel it seems as if i don't do anything different than everyone else. Minnows and roaches in a isulated cooler but air is a must. Minnows are much more hardy than roaches so keep that in mind. As for the Spikes and waxies they both go in a bait puck in my case Yellow is spikes and red is waxies. Yellow goes in the fridge and red sits inside on my dresser the night before I go out or in a drawer on days not fishing. Be careful not to put to many in a puck if you buy in bulk. I use the Bait Puck 2 for the majority and then put enough for a trip in the small pucks to take along.

Now for something that no onelse has mentioned is feeding your bait. Minnows I don't mess with but as for my spikes I clean out the deadones and add 2 good pinches of corn meal to the puck the night before I fish and this seems to fatten them up a bit and for the waxies I take a piece of lettuce and put that in the puck the night before to plump them up.

I know it seems like a lot of work but that fine with me I have the time but some like that 5am stop a the bait shop BS'n with the owner and other fisherman, to each there own. I love to BS but like to be able to go at a seconds notice!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25am - Jan 5,11 
Spikes should be kept close to the freezing point....34º---38º... and wax worms around 50º--60º...spikes go in the little area in the fridge for butter,and wax worms go on a shelf in the basement near an outside wall(un-finished basement)...if your spikes get to hot that's bad and if they're to cold that's bad also......waxies will start to eat their own body fat if stored too cold ,making them loose skinned or mushy....never tried the feeding routine, may help for longer keeping....minnows go in the basement on the floor, in an open cooler...keeping them as cold as possible...remove dead one's,and I run a minnow mizer to cool and oxygeniate the water....too many minnows will make the water toxic..so don't over load the bucket or cooler... between breathing and pooping they are easily killed off if left un-attended...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Jan 5,11 
If you have a sump pump you can keep the roaches in a small bucket in the sump pit. The ground water is cold and usually free of most chemicals.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43pm - Jan 5,11 
try using garlic powder to feed them spikes. you might notice an increase in yer gill action. I second the warning on overcrowding minnows they will burn up the dissolved oxygen faster than it can be replenished. Keep minnow bucket cold as possible,without freezing.slows metabolism down and they use less oxygenif you dont have/use an aerator swap water 2x a day. the whole key is removing the ammonia and replacing the oxygen. if you get a warm spell ice em down.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13pm - Jan 5,11 
Learned a trick from my Dad years ago that adds a little magic to my minnows. First off I Keep my Roaches & Suckers in a 30qt cooler with an aireator in the garage. Now the magic: take the skins of a couple of red onions and toss them in the water, gives the roaches a beautiful golden reddish hue. Not sure if it does anything for the bite but its a wonderful memory reminder and its kinda cool.
Hghlandr

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41pm - Jan 5,11 
Quote:
One of my biggest problems is that I dont want to be short so I wind up buying the following and wasting the majority:

spike (red/white)
crap minnows
Roaches
waxies
I would think this is normal but it does occur where you nail them on plastics and you have a decision on what to do with baits above.

Spikes in the fridge, (in the door crisper seams better)

Waxies in the garage next to the door, my garage is around 40-50 due to poor insulation and cracks.

I'd buy better minnows :P .... but seriously, I keep mine in an extra 50 gal tank with two filters in the garage, and replace about 15 gallons of water every couple of weeks. I keep all minnows together, and pick out the dead every couple of days. some always die off.
wigglers I keep in the garage and replace the water every few days with either rain water, melted snow, or water out of a fresh drilled hole,

good luck.

Last edited by i8fish2 on 11:45pm - Jan 5,11, edited 2 times in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42pm - Jan 5,11 
spikes fridge, waxies 55 degrees, buy in bulk one purchase at the start of winter, the basement is typically 55 degrees year round. Minnows get dumped in a old fish tank (garbage picked) in the garage, with air being pumped in and some water gets added from time to time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42pm - Jan 5,11 
oops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:20am - Jan 6,11 
I've had bad luck with spikes the last couple years. I buy them in bulk online. I keep them in the ziplock bag they come in, place that inside a brown envelope, and put this in the fridge on the lower area of the door. This year, of the 1000 that I had, I probably lost 800 of them within two weeks, they turned to the pupae stage. What am I doing wrong? A few years ago I'd have spikes for 2 months in decent shape and handled them the same way.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:07am - Jan 6,11 
I would get the spikes off of the door, and somewhere in the fridge where the temp is more consistent. I know they say to keep them in the plastic bag, but I've always used a margerine tub or something similar, and I add more sawdust. Also, the colored spikes, especially red ones, seem to die off quick.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:48am - Jan 6,11 
fish56 wrote:
I keep them in the ziplock bag they come in, place that inside a brown envelope,

The spikes need to breath, so the zip-lock bag is suffocating them. Use the bait puck or butter tub with some holes for air along with sawdust. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:48pm - Jan 6,11 
waxies on the window ledge in my basement,every couple of days crush up some cheerios and the will last for monthes.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: