Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:40pm - Jan 3,11 
Just curious if any one has fished this lake and if so where could i park and does anyone know where i can find a map of this lake that shows water depths ? Here is a link to the google map for it

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=mch ... CBoQ8gEwAA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:23pm - Jan 3,11 
parking; @ mackey's hideout. $5. river road, between dowell and rte. 176. no real map to speak of. lived around here since 1980. This lake is hit or miss through the ice, so keep moving. If yer content with 4-7 inch gill's you'll like it. perch can be had . shallow and sandy on the shoreline edge of weedline. same general pattern will produce crappies in low light conditions. if you can find an ariel photo it might serve usefull. Look for 7-10 fow, stick close to weedline and look for subtle changes in and around it. the basin is mostly silt with some clay.This lake has been on a down-cycle for the past 5-10 years. february late ice is usually best. this lake can and will produce some bragging sized fish. griz is spring fed and there can be treacherous ice.The odd thing is alot of the lake's in this area of the world have high alkaline levels due to the limestone bedrock, leaving the fish tasting bitter.Chain fish actually taste better than griz fish. ON a side note if you bunk out on griz.The water in the river has risen and pushed another wave of panfish into the channels. hope this helps. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:31am - Jan 4,11 
thanks for all the info I think i will try it out this weekend either sat afternoon or sunday morning depending on what the ol lady thinks. Do you know which side of the lake the ice is weaker at due to the springs? or is it pretty much all over? Also the channels that you are reffering to are the ones that link this lake to the fox?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:04pm - Jan 4,11 
the springs are roughly halfway between the two channels [lake channels]on the west shoreline of the lake couple hundred yards out. mackeys is on the east side . the channels [river channels] would be any of the channels in this stretch of river. personally a would avoid neilsons they usually are pretty crowded.would look into the sentimental journey channel aka the de mar channel. im not a fan of eating chain fish either, haven't in years. you dont really have too many options as far as channels without being a local, parking restrictions and what not...be carefull not all the locals are friendly around here... im not always polite. i'll pull a helen keller if i have to. good luck, have fun

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Jan 4,11 
nice info and report i fished the grizz many times many years ago open water and ice found large crappie 12's and bigger move often look for weeds or weed pockets . some very large gar hard to catch there used to be some cribs in the lake dont know if they still are there held good crappie when you get on cribs good luck catch a bucket full.the dead end channel holds crappie in spring the spill way channel holds northern just after ice out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:45pm - Jan 4,11 
the days of the dead end channel are gone, old gray mare. grew up 4 houses away.1 outta 5 years they come in and not like they used to couple days and they're gone. siltation and pressure, there were some logs/cribs. they rotted away. a very good pattern was established 10+ years ago. word got out and crappies have been on the decline, its on its third low for crappies that i remember. but will bounce back. they're still there but were not catching them on bare gold aberdeens anymore.I have more confidence in mother nature than man.what i dont understand is griz has gotten so much ice pressure last few years, saw 4 boats out there once this summer. meanwhile, Island lake, slocum and sullivan virtually no ice pressure. bangs loads up zurich is relatively empty???

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40am - Jan 5,11 
thanks again gentleman for all your assistance ill bee out there sunday to check it out prolly the lake lake during the day and hit those channels at sundown to see if any of those crappie wanna come home for dinner lol

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: