Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:08am - Feb 10,18 
I know most of the lakes up north will probably handle this snow load, but I'm not sure about the lakes on the southside. You guys think the south lakes are gonna break and flood the snow? Gonna try to get out tomorrow after a memorial service. I know the snow has to pretty much stopped ice growth, but if it floods the ice should take off growing again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42am - Feb 10,18 
As of last weekend, some lakes out south had open water. Shorelines were 1.5 inches and main pad was three to 3.5. Just know the body of water you are going on prior to the snowfall. There’s 11 plus inches of snow on that ice and you will not see trouble areas. Stay safe.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:09am - Feb 10,18 
I know at my club in Morris had 7 inches of ice the shorelines had 3, with the cold we had before the snow should built the ice pretty good.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:18pm - Feb 10,18 
a guy went through pondo yesterday. luckily another guy saw him and went and rounded up a guy sledding out there with a kayak with his kids. they were able to get him on top as the emergency crew showed up. the guy is OK.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:56pm - Feb 10,18 
Sometimes the weight of the snow will push down on the ice and when you drill holes the water will back up thru the holes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:37pm - Feb 10,18 
I stopped at Arrowhead today on the way grocery shopping and all the snow is slush, There is still a bit of white snow ontop, but it pushed the ice sheet down. Hopefully it all freezes up tonight.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Feb 10,18 
another 3-5" overnight, that refreeze will need to happen tomorrow night. be safe. ice is rotting I88 and south i think.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Feb 10,18 
Be safe out there, y'all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - Feb 10,18 
Basstech I was at Arrowhead the other day after the first snow and the ice was a little over 4" and you had to walk out on the farthest right circle of rocks to have safe shore ice,most other spots were slushy by shore.Best fishing was a little farther down on the right side only about 20 feet from shore.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37am - Feb 11,18 
RT, I read your last post about Arrow. Knowing the lake, I figure its safe to fish since it hasn't gone above freezing since you were last out there. I just didn't want to stand in all that slush today. Hoping it all frozen up tomorrow. If it is I will be shoveling a path out that I'm sure you will be taking advantage of while I'm at work this week. If it's still slush I will probably goto Maple, i measured 5" there last weekend.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51pm - Feb 12,18 
Mazonia north Friday. Opens. Anybody else going to try?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:14am - Feb 13,18 
I heard a few people went through the ice on the south unit over the weekend and one of the poor fishermen did not survive.

With the snow on the ice and the predicted warm-up/rain coming, I don't think it's wise to consider those lakes a viable option.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16am - Feb 13,18 
ChiBlackHawkFan wrote:
I heard a few people went through the ice on the south unit over the weekend and one of the poor fishermen did not survive.

With the snow on the ice and the predicted warm-up/rain coming, I don't think it's wise to consider those lakes a viable option.

Agreed. If you're going to try and hit the ice, head north. Nielson's, Bangs, Fox Chain. Was on Bangs for WoW on Saturday and there's plenty of ice. All those people, plus all those machines... and no incidents as far as I know. Ice was 9-12 inches everywhere we drilled. I wouldn't risk anything south. I'm even going to avoid Lemont Quarries when it's less than 10 mins ride from my house. Not worth it to go through the ice.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Feb 13,18 
only one guy went through on pondo and he did survive thanks to a quick thinking guy who was checking out ice conditions and another who had his kids out sledding in a kayak.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: