Author
Search for:
Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Sep 19,09 
Finman you have gas or charcoal grill? I can pick up whatever you need to fuel it and will make a dozen or so "fire" burgers and reg burgers. I will also bring buns, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, ketchup, and mustard.

I have seen tons of beer cans but do they allow alcohol by the rocks?

If so I will bring some water and beer too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:55pm - Sep 19,09 
Bubbalouie wrote:
Aus some Ed

Funny...

Post Posted: 11:55pm - Sep 19,09 
For those going out this morning, I will be out there by 3am. I probably am going to start fishing off gov. rock pier and be over by south rocks by 8am ish. Cya then.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:59am - Sep 20,09 
Folks,
I am heading down there now bringing burgers and small propane grill. I have a giant trash bag some bait for set poles while i clean. I made myself this long handled garbage picker by taking a stick and putting a screw thru it so i can long range if necessary. My boss (wifey) said i have until 11 only but if there is anyone i know i will leave my grill for whomever needs it along with whatever is left of the burgers and pick it up later. Silver f 150 with a chitown sticker.
CYA
Fin

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - Sep 20,09 
That photo is why I always bring pepper spray fishing with ED.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:18pm - Sep 20,09 
Good job guys- AtitAgain, Paul and Finman! Think you had 6-8 bags of trash before I even started- and huge bags.

Ater we left the S. Rocks, Geo7455 and I went over to Govt Pier and filled a couple more bags there.

Didn't know whether to turn in that $100 bill I found or pay Gary back for the delicious cheeseburgers!! :D

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:04pm - Sep 20,09 
Wish I could have been there guys. I had other obligations that came up, but you did a great job!

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Sep 20,09 
It was cool to meet Finman, Bubbalouie, and Geo7455.

My brother and I got to east wall around 3am and I hooked into.....a little cleo dredging the bottom. My brother had a fish on but lost it in the dark. By the way he explained the fight it sounded like a coho.

We only saw one king pulled out this morning with a good amount of guys out and had nil action on surface all day!

We decided to head over to south rocks around 8am or so, only to see the gate closed!!! I guess they only had it open from 4am-7am. I will call Mr. O'Dell Monday and work out some kind of plan to get guys in next Sunday.

My bro and I started and man.....It was a daunting task! I guesstimate that we did at minimum 20 bags weighing probably 25-30lbs each.(Felt like a hundred when walking them back off point) Even with all that, we feel we didn't even scratch the surface!

Some places had 2' deep of garbage. No exaggeration!

On a good note we did find $150 in lures but will need to spend 30 or so for new split rings and hooks.

Some of the anglers did help take some bags back and that was greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for coming out and helping scratch the surface!

Thanks to Finman for refueling us and it was good to chit chat over some good eats.

We will need an army to finish cleaning the whole south rock area so recruitment is open.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:51pm - Sep 20,09 
Awesome guys!

I look forward to Sunday next week. Still count me in for the brats and brews. I also may be bringing along some friendly help, and someone to watch the grill and beer for me while I am on the rocks cleaning up.

I'll probably be out there between 10am and 3pm, hope to have lunch ready for anyone willing to stop by, and/or help out.

AtIt,

Keep me updated on the gate situation, it would be nice to park close if I am getting there midday. :wink:

Post Posted: 03:26am - Sep 21,09 
Thanks Ed. At very minimum, I will give out my number to those that are going, and meet you by the gate. However hopefully we can work something out so that guys can call the harbor house and have them open the gate.

Guys make sure to bring good gloves. Something with some protection from sharp objects.

I am going to make at least one more trip out there before sunday..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:44am - Sep 21,09 
If all goes well, my wife needs to find a sitter for an hour, I will be there...

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04am - Sep 21,09 
Folks,
Had a great time meeting everyone atitagain and his brother really hauled out some stuff. Probably been 20 years since its been this clean thanks everyone. Bruce and Geo were also working hard glad to hear Bruce found a hundred and split it with Geo!!! What a great bunch around here. Just for the record for you folks next week. I just waited until i saw one of the staff and simply told them i am here to pick up trash. They kindly opened the gate faster than lightening and asked if we needed anything bags, pickers etc. bring some gloves its a really good idea. Thanks to the folks at the harbor for there support on this and doing anything they could to accomodate. KUDOS everyone glad to have such a great site (thanks Marc and staff for all you do) and even greater folks that dont talk about what there going to do. They just do it.

GLGF
Fin

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16am - Sep 21,09 
AtitAgain07 wrote:

This is mainly for the South Rock area and I also learned that they are closing the pier Sept.29th or Oct.1st. for renovations for the gas pier. I could find out the exact date next time I talk to him.

Has anyone found out any more information regarding the pier closing? Just for clarification, If they close the pier will it affect the South Rocks access?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:52am - Sep 21,09 
http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/vie ... hp?t=43860

Post Posted: 10:03am - Sep 24,09 
Anyone who is coming out Sunday 27th, can call the harbor office at 847-244-3133. Call 5-10mins. before you get there and they will open gate for you. Let them know you are from Chitown Angler and are here to help clean up.

Also Geo mentioned a sign. I proposed this with Mr. O'Dell and he liked the idea of a sign, along the lines of "This area is cleaned by Chitown Anglers!"

I will keep you updated when I hear more.

Cyas Sunday!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:11am - Sep 24,09 
Due to it being my Dad's B-Day on the 27th, I will only be at the harbor from about 9am to 2pm. I will still grill some brats and have a few cold ones on hand for anyone there that helps with clean-up.

Maybe we can post this on the salmon board so guys that are already heading out can stop by grab a brat and say hi.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Sep 26,09 
Got one of these, and a few others:

I used 2 bottles of the Oktoberfest to do this:

For those coming down to the harbor tomorrow I will be grilling these and some Ball Parks around noon.

I am bringing my grill so I can stay at the S. Rocks the whole time. So if you see a guy in a black CTA hat grilling brats out by the S. Rocks parking, that's ME!

Stop by, grab a brat and a beverage, and say hi.

p.s. I look like this:

Post Posted: 07:36pm - Sep 26,09 
You got me hungry already Ed!

I will be bringing some burgers, condiments, pop, water, and hand sanitizer.

A friend and I will be at the south rocks at 4am. I will probably be right off the parking lot fishing. I will have on a brown hoodie and my friend will be the one with dreads.

I will have bags so just ask if you need some. Also remember to bring gloves.

Cyas out there,
Steve.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29am - Sep 28,09 
Steve nice to met you and your friend as well, I tried to stay out as long as I could. You had tons of bags out there and worked hard. I will be more than happy to help do this again and might have a connection to get some extended trash claws to help get in those holes, some spots were impossible. I nearly got myself stuck in a spot (easier to crawl in than out). Ed thanks for the grub and drink. You have a nice little helper as well. I'll anti up on the flip side. Too bad more people couldn't show up. I'll have some ideas for next time to help motivate....

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: 08:32am - Sep 28,09 
It was cool to meet you and Special Ed as well.

I think later on we can get a bigger turn out. I only gave guys a 10 day notice and we all know that our time is limited, so can't blame guys for wanting to fish in their "free time".

I also have been thinking about what you said on an earlier post about cleaning up our own backyard. Let's throw out some places and see what guys think. I know of some real nice ponds that I would be willing to share in turn for helping clean up.

These places wouldn't be nearly as hard to clean up as the rocks.

Thanks again for Bubbalouie, Special Ed, and Twade for coming out and helping out!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Community Corner » Special Events
Jump to: