Author
Search for:
Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 06:17pm - Sep 17,09 
If any one has been to any of the rock piers, then you have probably seen all the trash left by anglers. Beer bottles, cans, fishing line and who knows what else. Well I want to propose to those that fish the piers the idea of helping clean it up.

Yes, it won't solve the litter problem and most likely, the guys cleaning are definitely not the guys littering.

With that being said, I called Waukegan Harbor Port District office and talked to a Mr. Bill O'Dell. (Forgive me if I spelled name incorrect. It's bad since I am Irish too!) I spoke about a plan to help clean it up and he was more than willing to help out and coordinate this w/ his staff. He would also supply bags if needed.

I need to know who would be interested and what days they could do this. I may set up 3 days to bag trash and set up an area for Mr. O'Dell's staff to pick up.

This is mainly for the South Rock area and I also learned that they are closing the pier Sept.29th or Oct.1st. for renovations for the gas pier. I could find out the exact date next time I talk to him.

I already have a handful of guys(hopefully will be new members) that love projects like this. So this will happen even if we only get a small portion done by the time they close it.

This could also go out for any locals at any harbors! Let's pull together and make our fishing areas safe for anglers and the many different species in our Big Pond.

Please post here if interested and what day is good or even any ideas to add to this.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10pm - Sep 17,09 
Dear Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler ,

Great idea, it really depends on days and hour's etc.. I have been a part of a few events like these. You never leave home feeling bad.

now it is a hike for me when there is trash in my back yard that needs that same attention. But heck, keep us all in the loop.

(I suggest a BBQ for those that help) fuel is good on events like this and helps bring people out..

Now are you the 1st person tagged a EFCA here?? I wonder :)

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Sep 17,09 
twade, he came to us with the idea so it only seemed right that he wore that moniker first.

The harbor has a BBQ on the patio, I'll check to see if Brian will open it up to anyone that jumps in on the thread.

Keep in mind SU will be out there on the 29th running a kids derby.

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Sep 17,09 
I believe so Twade. I think I will set it up for the next two Sundays. That would be 9/20 and 9/27 of September.

I will get out and do some early fishing then say about 8-9am get started on clean up and take it accordingly. I want to stress that any amount cleaned up is good but hope to reach the goal of cleaning all of the south rocks.(yeah I tend to set goals a little high but why not, right?)

Possibly a BBQ on the 9/27 as a job well done for those who helped and to say goodbye to south rocks till spring.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:31pm - Sep 17,09 
Count me in on the 27th!

I was out on the rocks with Twade a week ago, and I couldn't believe all the trash between the rocks. I kept thinking to myself, "How the ef does it get THIS bad?" Then when I read this thread I had an epiphany: I may have access to a handful of trash grabbers. (You know those aluminum trash grabbing wands, made so you don't have to bend over to pick stuff up....)

Like this:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/unger-n ... NN900.html

These would be great for getting the trash from out between the rocks!

I'll see what I can do about bringing them up on the 27th.

Oh yeah, and if the grill is free on the patio, put me down for bringing a dozen Johnsonvilles and some cold Leinies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:57am - Sep 18,09 
Great idea here count me in. I fish there regularly but never leave anything as with most of us simply bring back out anything you bring in. Since these guys are generous enough to cover the 27 i will bring a portable grill and some burgers and hot dogs and buns for the guys that can make it 9/20. Time for folks to pay it forward so folks dont be shy. I will probably fish in the morning and get started around 10 cleaning up with lunch at noon. This is a great site with a bunch of fun folks lets make this happen. Hope to see folks there. If not i will go it alone as planned.
Good Luck Good Fishing Always
Fin

Post Posted: 06:03am - Sep 18,09 
Special Ed that would be awesome! My son turns 3 saturday...I was going to send him down into the smaller cracks as a turning of age thing! I will let him know he is safe...for now. :D (kidding of course..)

Twade, I hear ya fully about our waters closer to us and am up for it. Just let me know what time and place. I usually try and pick up at the smaller ponds but have to admit that I have not done as much as years past.

There is a fox river clean up coming up soon and can let you guys know date and times as soon as my friend tells me. I believe ISA is coordinating that one.

Finman, I got a feeling you will not be alone! That would be cool on the 20th for those who cannot make it the 27th. I can bring some condiments and some burgers.....(maybe even make some of my fire burgers!)

LMAO! ISA......too funny...

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:15am - Sep 18,09 
Count me in. I plan on fishing Sunday early and can start around 9 or 10. Before I got your PM, I was going to put something like this together as I am always picking up trash and bringing it back with me. We can even seperate the cans from the rest of the trash to be recycled. It won't be an easy task, but if we have several guys out there and the other guys fishing see what we are doing we can always hand them a bag and have them join in as well.
You can't miss me out there as I will have on my camo floatation device.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: 07:24am - Sep 18,09 
Cory wrote:
We can even seperate the cans from the rest of the trash to be recycled.You can't miss me out there as I will have on my camo floatation device.

Excellent idea. Do they still give money for glass? Does anyone know what you get for aluminum? If this could even be turned into money for future clean ups(food, gloves etc...) that would be a bonus!

Yeah I look for you anytime I am out there. Am excited to finally meet some more members.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31am - Sep 18,09 
I talked to Brion O’Dell this morning and they will be supplying heavy duty trash bags for you guys. They will be waiting for you at the harbor house.

We also have a green light to use the patio and the BBQ if you want, we just need to give them the time and date to make sure it's not reserved.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33am - Sep 18,09 
Count me in as well. Just let me know a time and date.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Sep 18,09 
I just got final conformation and here are the dates and times. Sept. 20th and Sept. 27th. I really do not want set times per say, so that if anyone wants to do it anytime sunday that would be cool. The general time will be around 9-10am(or maybe earlier if the bite stays slow! and vice a versa)till whenever you feel like.

Finman mentioned doing some grilling for lunch.

I will pick up bags from the office and have them out on the picnic tables and/or rocks.

The only other thing is to find someone w/ info on the price for aluminum cans.

If it isn't worth keeping cans then we don't have to worry about seperating the garbage from the recyclables due to their waste management system sorts it all out anyway.(Amazing the times we live in!)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:24pm - Sep 18,09 
Cory wrote:
Count me in. I will have on my camo floatation device.

Cory- I don't thing they mean you have to go in the water to pick up litter-

AtitAgain- great idea- I will be there one or both of those days. Too bad we couldn't wear a banner or something stating "Litter Free, Fish Free", or something similar-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Sep 18,09 
i will try to be out there on the 20th...maybe a little later then 10...and then the 27th. Marc...think we can do this more then once a year? like a 1st sunday of the month or so...and maybe we can get a sign like on the roads...."clean up by chitown anglers members"????

also..i have heard you guys talk about this place...not sure where it is exactly..little help there and for other guys too!!!

with a name like Geo...you gotta help clean up!!!!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:46pm - Sep 18,09 
Geo7455 wrote:

with a name like Geo...you gotta help clean up!!!!

Cm'on Kev!! With a name like Geo, you should be good at Geography as well as Geology- besides - ROCKS, like South Rocks- :lol: :lol:

I just sent you a pm. Give me a call Sun. am on your way down and I'll tell you- also, there's been some very good maps posted here- just do a search-

see ya Sunday

P.S. I really like the Sign Idea!!! :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:20pm - Sep 18,09 
ok...i found your number bruce...will call ya sunday am between 10-11

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:38pm - Sep 18,09 
I was actually thinking maybe some large blue trash cans staked down and chained up with a sign above them like this:

Post Posted: 06:40pm - Sep 18,09 
LOL...you are 1/2 a click from crazy! Funny stuff.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:28pm - Sep 18,09 
SpecialEd wrote:

Aus some Ed- You must be the one on the right??

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Sep 18,09 
Nice try Bubba!

(I was the one that took the picture.... duh!)

8)~

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Community Corner » Special Events
Jump to: