Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:54pm - May 15,17 
Fished the harbor hard on Sunday. Threw pretty much everything I had with me. Not one bite. a couple other guys out there, said it's been slow going out there. Did see a couple cruising the shoreline though. so they are there.
I don't get to fish downtown too often. Anybody have any ideas as to why nothings happening yet? Water still too cold maybe? Don't know the water temps, but it was still cold.
Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:37pm - May 15,17 
Steve,
Switch gears and try for some perch. There is always something swimming in those waters. Rock bass could also be sought.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59pm - May 15,17 
I think they are starting to pair up for the spawn right about now and probably not interested in much thrown at them. Water closer to the entrance or main lake may still have some staging fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03pm - May 15,17 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Steve,
Switch gears and try for some perch. There is always something swimming in those waters. Rock bass could also be sought.

Perch season is closed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20am - Jun 12,17 
Managed to get out for a few hours at the crack of dawn Sunday morning. Managed a few in the harbor and around the Planetarium. Had the harbor all to myself when I got there. Only saw one other guy out there when I arrived. By nine am there were quite a few people fishing in the harbor. Seems everybody was yanking the fish off their beds. I for one am not a fan of site fishing and catching bedding fish, but it sure seems like pretty much everyone else out there didn't see any problem with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this can't be good for the fishery down there or anywhere else for that matter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:22am - Jun 12,17 
I caught 4 gigantic carp on Saturday and missed many others. Had grippers and a net so didn't have to touch them. Crazy good fights too. Give them a try.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:31am - Jun 12,17 
fishhawksteve wrote:
Managed to get out for a few hours at the crack of dawn Sunday morning. Managed a few in the harbor and around the Planetarium. Had the harbor all to myself when I got there. Only saw one other guy out there when I arrived. By nine am there were quite a few people fishing in the harbor. Seems everybody was yanking the fish off their beds. I for one am not a fan of site fishing and catching bedding fish, but it sure seems like pretty much everyone else out there didn't see any problem with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this can't be good for the fishery down there or anywhere else for that matter.

Pulling bass off of beds is extremely detrimental especially in the great lakes since we have so many gobies. It only takes a few seconds for gobies to clear out a nest. Spawning is also exhausting and takes up a ton of energy. Exhausting and hooking a fish by antagonizing it for sometimes up to an hour or two completely ruins the chances of it's fry surviving. There are good nimbers of quality bass around the city, but if people don't wise up there will be a decline in the future.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: