Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13pm - Sep 27,16 
Headin to Door County for a few days next week to target Smalllies. Although I am familiar with most places and have fished up there a little. Im looking for a little insight on how to fish them in the fall. Ill have my 16 footer so we have access to anywhere we need to go (weather permitting). On Monday, we will fish Detroit Harbor and Washington Island with Lonnie of Green Bay Trophy Fishing. Im planning on rigging slip bobbers with Chubs or small suckers. But, will also have a full arsenal of plastics onboard. Any help is appreciated!

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:59pm - Sep 28,16 
Pm'd You

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:05pm - Sep 28,16 
I would fish the same pattern the guide shows you. Casually pump him for information. The couple guides I have been with were very helpful in sharing the patterns that were working. They wouldn't talk about exact spots but I definitely gathered a lot of information from them. Are you ferrying to Washington Island? I'd stay there all week. You should crush them!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:23pm - Oct 4,16 
Just got back from Door County. We had a pretty good trip overall. Sunday was a little slow because our presentation was wrong. Although we were in the right place, our baits weren't in the strike zone. Monday, we headed to Washington Island for a day with Lonnie Goman of Trophy Ice Fish Green Bay. We had perfect weather with just the right wind speed and direction. Lonnie is top notch and worked all day to keep us on active fish. With the right presentation, and the right locations we boated about 30 Smallies. Nothing really big, but all nice fish and certainly enough activity to keep you busy! Fish were caught by using medium sized Suckers about 15 inches behind a 1/4 ounce split shot fished by drifting slowly. Most fish came in the range of ten feet or so of water. We had a couple of nice fish on, but lost them at the net.

We worked several locations around the island, and near the channel into Detroit Harbor. The fish are there, but the water needs to cool just a little more for the feed bag to be put on. I'd say another week, or two and it will be game on for the big ones! We also worked the area of Little Sister Shoal today in our boat and came up with about 15 fish or so in two hours. Same presentation, with the largest fish at 4lbs. Called it a day after running out of bait. Anyone looking to go up that way should definitely look Lonnie up. Great guy to spend a day on the water with. His service is top notch!

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57pm - Oct 4,16 
Nice! I was wondering how you guys did up there. Leaving Friday for the Door, Coldfront and NW winds heading our way. Yah!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09am - Oct 5,16 
I would reconsider. Water is still much too warm for the BIG FISH bite. Plenty of 2"s and less. 4's + hard to come by. Water temps need to be mid 50's at the minimum for things to really start popping for the consistent BIF FISH action.

Good luck if you go, bring plenty of suckers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57am - Oct 5,16 
I second that. Water is still a tad warm for the big boys to turn on the feed. and yes, stop at Howies Bait and Tackle in Sturgeon Bay for Suckers. Great service! Bring plenty of #1 Gamakatsu Octupus hooks and 1/2 ounce split shot. Rig up with 8lb. fluoro and have at it!

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:38am - Oct 8,16 
Thanks for the report! I'm keeping my fingers crossed to make it up there one more time this year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:29pm - Oct 23,16 
I don't understand you telling us you are going up there and not sharing a report. How about a detailed report figure 8 ? ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Oct 23,16 
Ok here we go. Weather was not in our favor for this trip. Major cold front night before and NE winds. First day launched out of Rowley's, pulled suckers and casted nada. Even tried up the Mink River had one pike follow up. Day 2 was nice, Launched in Ellison Bay. Found about a dozen Smallies for the day up to 17" 25-30 FOW. Nothing giant but had some action, Everything on suckers except one on a blade bait.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:58am - Oct 27,16 
I fished Gills Rock/Washington island areas last weekend. Fishing was tough compared to other October's I've spent up there. Weather was perfect almost to perfect with water temps 55 to 58 degrees. Normally it's in the low 50's. Caught smallies every day but nothing over 4 pounds. All fish caught drop shotting crosstail shads.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: