Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:04pm - Jun 11,13 
I have bee using Scum Frogs for a long time, but I was having trouble casting them today on my bait caster because of the wind and my drag being set to light so I could cast the distance needed. I am looking into switching brands but don't know where to turn. This is what I am looking for: 1. The fog has to be heavier than 5/16oz (scum frog weight). 2. The frog has to ride topside up in the water (scum frogs have been flipping on me recently). I was looking at Snag Proof but that is a lot of $$ for one frog. Thank you.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:23pm - Jun 11,13 
I just switched over to Booyah frogs this year. It is not like I fished my scum frogs very often before. I've boated seven or eight bass on the mini green Poppin Pad Crasher, and still no holes formed or issues with action. Can't say I've abused them too much yet, but they have held up to the few days I've thrown them exclusively. They did have a couple different sizes where I went. I use a spinning rod with mono and havent had any issues with distance or wind.

I did see some adhesive lead disks to attach to baits to make them heavier at one of the area tackle shops recently. They were about a quarter inch in diameter. You might be able to stick one of those on the weight of the scum frog to aid in your casting through wind.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Jun 11,13 
Check out the LiveTarget frogs.The detail on these frogs is amazing,however they are a little pricey.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21pm - Jun 11,13 
I am quite fond of Spro frogs

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24pm - Jun 11,13 
Thanks guys for the advice. Once my birthday has passed I am hoping to use a bass pro gift card and buy some me frogs. Another problem I have had with the scum frogs is that the rubber 'legs' they have tend to get destroyed by bass, and then they will melt to the body of the frog when it is inside my tackle box. Does this happen to all frogs with that style of legs? Thanks again

Michael

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 04:27am - Jun 12,13 
ltrain wrote:
I am quite fond of Spro frogs

Good choice. Between them and the Zoom Horny Toads, they would get a lot of play time from me in the slop. Both have good weight and cast well. 50lb braid on a heavy frog rod did the job nicely.

I don't bass fish anymore. I'm sure there's some newer creations out now that excel even more.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42am - Jun 12,13 
I like Spro. LiveTarget look cool with the detail, but 95% of the time the bass aren't seeing that detail, the way I fish. They see a silhouette or movement in the slop

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06am - Jun 12,13 
I just started fishing a Larry Dahlberg frog from River To Sea. I gotta tell you, it has the best leg action I've ever seen and will even dive down like a fleeing frog if worked correctly. They are not cheap but are very well made and the action is incredible! Here's a link you can check out.

http://www.river2seausa.com/topwater/48 ... -frog.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37am - Jun 12,13 
Whatever is on sale.... They can't see detail of the bait in heavy cover.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08am - Jun 12,13 
fish wrangler wrote:
I have bee using Scum Frogs for a long time, but I was having trouble casting them today on my bait caster because of the wind and my drag being set to light so I could cast the distance needed. I am looking into switching brands but don't know where to turn. This is what I am looking for: 1. The fog has to be heavier than 5/16oz (scum frog weight). 2. The frog has to ride topside up in the water (scum frogs have been flipping on me recently). I was looking at Snag Proof but that is a lot of $$ for one frog. Thank you.

Michael

You can weight your scum frog by filling body cavity with some silicone.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Jun 12,13 
Bulldawg wrote:
fish wrangler wrote:

Michael

You can weight your scum frog by filling body cavity with some silicone.

If I do that won't the frog flip over so the hooks are on the bottom? That is my big issue with them when I am trying to work the frog over pads and it keeps on flipping over. Thank you guys again. I am going too take into consideration all of your points.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:07pm - Jun 12,13 
Booyah pad crashers and pad crasher jr are my favorite. I have the spro, live target, river2sea and all of them look amazing but the body on the pad crasher seems to collapse on a strike more easily and I've found that my hook up percentage is much higher with the booyah than with other frogs and they cast very well. They're around $6-$7 and they hold up pretty well. Also it doesn't flip over and if it lands upside down it flips right over. Pick one up and you won't be disappointed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:10pm - Jun 13,13 
I've been fishing the Strike King Rage Frogs and Rage Shad's almost exclusively over the last 4yrs, haven't thrown a scum frog other one's similar since I started throwing the Rage stuff. The action of the Tails are awesome, the amount of fish I land compared to the scum frog days is about 50% higher, and they work great in open water, around pads, on duckweed, just like a weedless buzzbait. The nice thing is, they cast great on frogging rods (heavy stiff Rods) Like the Mojo Sloppin Frog rod, with Heavy Braid into the wind due to there weight, they don't float exactly, but they don't sink quickly either. If you haven't tried them, I would look into them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:07pm - Jun 14,13 
I m most likely going to go with the Booyah Pad Crusher because it is the heaviest of all the suggestions and it is the lowest price, but I know that the Booyah brand is reliable. I may also have to get one of the River To Sea frogs because after watching a few of those videos I really like the action on the legs. Thank you all.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:34am - Jun 18,13 
Gambler Cane Toads are a nice option.But em by the sack.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: