Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Jul 11,10 
Fished my favorite shoreline spot (Rocks) between 5-7pm and had one of the best Smallie Fishing experiences ever.
Drop Shotting in about 8-10 FOW Switched from a Green Gulp Goby, to a Super Fluke, to Red Pepper Yum Crawdad with no luck (little ones playing with it) One Rockbass.... After putting-on a 6" Pearl Silver Flake Yum Dinger they went Nuts. Landed 4 Smallies between 3-4 Pounds in my Second Hour of fishing, with the Biggest and Last weighing 5 Pounds 3 Ounces - a beautiful Bronzeback and A great fight on my Ultralight Spinning combo with 6# Fluoro. All fish Released.
Again, Using a 6" Pearl Silver Flake Yum Dinger rigged about 12-14" above a 1/4" oz Water gremlin BullShot. I wrap my line around the bullshot twice before clamping it - seems to hold on just the right amount before pulling-thru when hung-up. Should be the pattern for a couple of days....Have Fun.
FYI - While I caught all of my fish using Standout Lever hooks, I am overall disappointed - I've lost several good fish and I blame the unusual geometry of the hook - too much gets in the way. Presentation is one thing, but the mechanics of the hook is foremost. It's like reinventing the wheel....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Jul 13,10 
...Remembered the cam today and managed to get this little one - same technique, same time of day / conditions: sunny and beautiful.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20am - Jul 14,10 
I would have to agree with you on the stand out hooks. Great concept but I have missed some whoppers this year on them. It doesn't matter how hard you set the hook! The only thing I have done is upgraded to a larger hook than you would normally use. It seems to help a bit. Are you wacky rigging the Dinger or nose hooking it? Thanks for sharing your report!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20pm - Jul 14,10 
Hey ProV - I am nose hooking them because lost too many baits wacky rigging them. When they get beat-up I just bite off 3/4" from the nose and rehook until they get to about 4" long / lose their flavor - fresh ones definitely attract. Thanks for the reply!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:26am - Jul 15,10 
Thanks for sharing, love those smallies! I tried those hooks for deep water perch fishing, and I didn't like the way they hooked, either. My dad will actually use a jig hook (the kind with a 90* bend that you would use in a jig mold) and snells it on so it rides perpendicular to the mainline. This seems to roks pretty well without having all that extra crap in the way like the stand outs.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56am - Jul 15,10 
@tinyfisher - great idea. Just tied one and it works great - thanks!
Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03am - Jul 15,10 
great report, good details. Keep up the pics :D

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: