Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05am - Jun 11,10 
Fished the HP lagoon from 3:30 - 5:30 Thursday afternoon. Saw a few guys catching gillies. I caught this guy in the canal running under Sacramento/Humboldt Blvd. Used a black worm with a weedless set up. I tried several different lures, but this was the only bite.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:01pm - Mar 4,15 
Nice Bass from a City Lagoon

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Mar 4,15 
The big freeze last winter did a number on the fish in Humboldt. I know there aeey a few slab crappies still kicking around in there. Im interested to see how the fishing is after this winter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05am - Mar 5,15 
I used to fish the Humboldt Park lagoons in the 60's. They began stocking bass then. Right now it averages about 3-4 ft. Folks that work there now said the have problems with fish kills almost every year. The Chicago tribune would sponsor the silver skates speed skating championship there. Chicago snow plows used to clean the ice. Carp fishing was a big deal back then.

Last edited by Ukie1 on 12:14pm - Mar 5,15, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16am - Mar 5,15 
I hear some of the stocked catfish have tags with a phone number on them that you can call and claim a prize. Someone won a $200 rod and reel a few years back. Surprised to hear about the slab crappie and the bass...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32am - Mar 5,15 
I might have to walk over there with some catfish bait soon..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:33am - Mar 5,15 
Anyone ever ice fish there?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:45am - Mar 5,15 
Had a place about a couple blocks away from there a few years back. Never fished it, but always wondered. Never down that direction anymore. Watsonator, don't recall ever seeing anyone on the ice there, I'd be interested to hear if someone has.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Mar 5,15 
Hey thewatsonator unfortunately ice fishing is not allowed in any of the Chicago Park District lagoons.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23am - Mar 5,15 
I've only fished the lagoon three times and that was at the end of last year. I ran into a nice man named Kevin who told me about the Humboldt Park Fishing Society and showed me a spot where some decent black crappies were staging. I've never seen anyone on the ice and I'm almost certain you're not allowed to ice fish there. I guess the lagoon used to have decent bass and other critters, but the population was getting slammed by bucket heads and winter kills. I live pretty close to it so if anyone wants to check it out I can show them some good spots.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:43am - Mar 5,15 
robgutie wrote:
Hey thewatsonator unfortunately ice fishing is not allowed in any of the Chicago Park District lagoons.

Thanks rob!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:49am - Mar 5,15 
yeah every one and their mother fishes the lagoons for some "good eatin" hahahaha. Every time i go to Marquette park I see people with BUCKETS of fish and it ticks me off. The only time we ever take fish from the lagoons is when they are gold fish or kois because we keep them for pets and sell them as pets, but my opinion is that the lagoons are a waste of time unless you got NOTHING to do and i mean nothing. I did try ice fishing the one quarry on 28th and halsted last year but the gills were so small there, That they weren't even able to eat a hexi-fly, but Its cool to know there are some nice crappies though, I remember 3 or 4 years ago my dad took me to the north pond, and I was walking around the peir trolling a spinner and BAM i caught some absolute slap crappies, tried it last year and all i got were gold fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Mar 5,15 
Last week while walking the dog i noticed someone had drilled holes on the ice, I'm assuming to fish.
In the summer the lagoon gets bombed by fishermen and wana-be's and lots of other people that take anything! they catch. :?
What a difference a couple years make, I remember catching a couple 20"+ bass.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:49pm - Mar 5,15 
I'm around the Humboldt park area absolutely no ice fishing that lagoon and yes bucket heads in the summer. I fish the area a couple times caught catfish,crappies and bass all fish go back in the water. My kids love fishing the lagoon for fun

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: