Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - May 26,10 
Hey All

I am trying to help my cousin get back into bass fishing. We grew up bass fish as kids, and he was the one who got be back into largemouth. I have since turned into a huge big bait angler. I blame him for my problems!

Recently he has told me he wants to fish for bass - which got me all excited. Basically he is a clean slate, and I can brain wash him which ever way I choose. I honestly think I will fish vicariously through him.

Below are a few bits of information about my cousin, in hopes you can recommend a few largemouth places.

FYIs:
- Schaumburg, IL
- Shorebound
- Will rent on certain occasions.

I am going to set him up with the following:

ROD:
- DOBYNS 736C

REEL:
- Shimano Curado 201 HDSV

I have set my mind to teach him top water first. From there we have potential to go anywhere.

Thanks

EDIT:
- strictly LMB fishing only (for now atleast).
- based on the above information, can you recommend any shore access places he can get started.

Last edited by T Dot on 12:59pm - May 27,10, edited 2 times in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21am - May 27,10 
It is kind of you to get him back started however I am not sure if there is a question here, or just a statement. :dontknow

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - May 27,10 
twade wrote:
It is kind of you to get him back started however I am not sure if there is a question here, or just a statement. :dontknow

T Dot wrote:
Hey All

...Below are a few bits of information about my cousin, in hopes you can recommend a few largemouth places.

Thanks

I will edit my post to make it more obvious.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:35pm - May 27,10 
I'm not sure why you wouldn't push it one step further and get him a set of waders so he could fish the Fox, duper and other streams. There is some great bass fishing being overlooked here!

He could fish those from shore but waders would improve his opportunities 10 fold!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - May 27,10 
Marc wrote:
I'm not sure why you wouldn't push it one step further and get him a set of waders so he could fish the Fox, duper and other streams. There is some great bass fishing being overlooked here!

He could fish those from shore but waders would improve his opportunities 10 fold!

Sorry I should have been more clear. I am not from his area, and am just visiting. I don't have a slight clue what the surrounding bodies of water are like, and am looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I will look into those spots, but I really want him to key on LMB vs SMB. Correct me if I am wrong, as those SMB spots. (i will add that to my post as well).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:08pm - May 27,10 
Yes smallies, but large mouth pike muskie carp gill as well...

The best advice that any one will give you on this site, or most for that matter, is to Google map areas where he or you live and give the ponds a go. If there are no signs and a decent place to park you can fish it.

Ponds are gem to a lot of guys and will not be given out. I had a hard time accepting this myself. But I have found my own just scouting and trying. With this little bit of information I am sure that you can find a great place to wet the line. I would go Texas rigged in new ponds especially since you will not know what is on the bottom. Top water is another great idea.

My ponds are muck already, time to go froggin.

PS...

There is always busse...

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:39pm - May 27,10 
twade wrote:
Yes smallies, but large mouth pike muskie carp gill as well...

The best advice that any one will give you on this site, or most for that matter, is to Google map areas where he or you live and give the ponds a go. If there are no signs and a decent place to park you can fish it.

Ponds are gem to a lot of guys and will not be given out. I had a hard time accepting this myself. But I have found my own just scouting and trying. With this little bit of information I am sure that you can find a great place to wet the line. I would go Texas rigged in new ponds especially since you will not know what is on the bottom. Top water is another great idea.

My ponds are muck already, time to go froggin.

PS...

There is always busse...

Thanks twade!

I totally understand the secret gems and respect that. I am not looking for one of those, but merely a spot that will kick out a bunch or 1lbers. I need him to get the basics down while I visit him. From there I can take him from 0mph to 100mph probaby within this season. Basically he needs a practice lake in my eyes.

Do ALL the ponds have lmb?

tia

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - May 27,10 
No, but I would imagine that if you can find bait fish in a pond you might get lucky.

Like I said, Busse is not that far from the area you are at. You'll find them there..

find a good farm pond.. and the 1lber moves up 5-7 lbs. :)

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - May 27,10 
twade wrote:
No, but I would imagine that if you can find bait fish in a pond you might get lucky.

Like I said, Busse is not that far from the area you are at. You'll find them there..

find a good farm pond.. and the 1lber moves up 5-7 lbs. :)

thx

my goal is to get him onto 5lbers really quickly.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: