Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Mar 31,17 
Woe is me. I turned my back for a few seconds and my cart with everything in it got blown into the lake.
What didn't sink was last seen floating towards Belmont. If you happen to catch a blue bucket with
a homemade power line setup or a bucket seat, enjoy. My cart, net, extinguisher, bag of weights and
rubber bands sank pretty quick. This all happened by the ramp just east of the harbor mouth.
Think its a sign to take some time off. Was fun while it lasted. Will now start rebuilding for next season.
Thanks for the chatter and camaraderie.

Chester

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:13pm - Mar 31,17 
Maybe try to use a snag hook or a grappling hook they use for smelting to try and snag your cart, and possibly its contents?

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:30pm - Mar 31,17 
Should be easy to retrieve the cart and some of the contents with a trolley anchor. It should be right below where it blew in to the lake. An extension pole with a hook on the end is another option.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:24pm - Mar 31,17 
Thanks for the advice. I'll get back to the lakefront soon once I find a grappling hook style anchor or
something similar. The whole thing floated for a minute or two while being blown south away from shore. I think it
was the minnow bucket and the Pline bucket that kept it afloat until the buckets slipped out of the cart.
It was kind of sad and comical at the same time. Guy casting a spoon was able to hook bucket with minnow
bucket in it and another guy let me use his net so I got a bucket to sit on and a bucket to keep my minnows in.
Thanks again for the advice.
Chester

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:25pm - Mar 31,17 
:drink It happens broski.....sorry.... Waves can eat gear too.... Respect da lake.... Never turn ur back her :winker later mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:39pm - Mar 31,17 
Chester, a good underwater camera will help a lot locating the gear. For the tank, the hook might not work, but with a camera that allows you to see the tank, you can use a steel cable with a slip type loop to get the tank. I used this kind of cable last year to pull out one of those blue rental bikes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13pm - Mar 31,17 
hey guys i saw a lot of vedios where guys were using magnets to fish stuff out of the water try harbor freight for heavy duty magnets just a thought

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54am - Apr 1,17 
The tank is made out of aluminum, the valve is brass, only the fittings might be black pipe, so chances of getting it with a magnet are quite slim :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Apr 1,17 
With a little help from friends, and a good deal here and there, I'm back in business.
Thanks everyone.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:12am - Apr 3,17 
I'm guessing no water in the bucket. Don't worry, you will make a better rig, but be careful; they do go in sometimes. Sorry for the loss of your hard work.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41am - Apr 4,17 
jeffparkc, Are you saying you fished it out?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Apr 5,17 
Bought new stuff and was helped out by friends with some of it. If I didn't watch it all float away from the wall I'd
be a little more optimistic about retrieval. The cart was a good twenty feet out the last time I saw it. Then things surfaced
after the cart sank. My bucket-seat and P-line bucket were floating south and my extra bucket with the minnow bucket
stuck inside it were retrieved with the help of a guy and his ability to hook it for me with the spoon he was casting.
If anybody retrieves anything let me know.
Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Apr 5,17 
Why don't you try googling up one of the many dive clubs in the Chicago area. You might find a guy willing to fish it out for the fun and experience of it, or maybe a few bucks?

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: