Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:43pm - Mar 11,17 
First of all thanks to all you guys who answer questions and help guys out.
So where do I replace my rubberbands?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:14pm - Mar 11,17 
Henry's, Lee's, Fishtech, Parkbait, or faimodelsupply.com

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Mar 11,17 
I have been powerling for the first couple times, awesome. Any advice or recommendations on how to organize your hooks and leaders? Keeping on the spool works but that gets messy, any proffered way?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Mar 11,17 
You can keep the hooks attached to your powerline, if you get a bit creative.
Most guys will alight the hooks with the main line and wrap the line around each hook a few times. Not the best solution in my opinion, specially if your main powerline is let's say 50lbs mono like in my case.
My friend uses small plastic tubing inserted on the main line between the hooks, aligns the hooks with the main line then secure each hook to one of the small tubing. It has one huge advantage, the tip of the hooks being covered by the tubing, they will never get hooked up on the rest of the line from the spool. I tried this solution but I did not like it for long time use. The barbs from the hooks were tearing up the tubing, and once one piece is broken, you can not replace it, unless you cut up the powerline.
Another method I've seen is to make small holes around the edge of the spool, on both sizes, then attach each hook to one of the holes when you reel the line in. Bring the swivel holding a hook close to the reel, about the same distance as the leader on your hook, attach the hook to one of the holes on the side of the reel, then continue to reel the line in. You will need to be careful when handling the reel, all those hooks will be pointing out of the sides of the reel. Baiting the line will be pretty easy this way, the line will stop by itself, and you will have to unhook each hook in order for the reel to spin again.
And now, my method: I tie small rubber bands in between the hooks (a simple knot, resulting in two rubber band loops), then attach each hook to one of those rubber bands, facing the water. The rubber bands will break quite often, but it takes about three seconds to pull a new one from my pocket and tie it back when that happens. The hooks will have exposed tips and will get caught up on the line while they are rolled on the reel, but it is pretty easy to get them free.
There are a few guys who will take the leaders off and store them separately. It is time consuming, but it has a huge advantage: it is quite easy to make changes to your setups, in terms of changing the type of hooks you use, adding beads or small blades to the hooks, and so on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:11am - Mar 19,17 
looking to make a order of rubberbands anyone know the size?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Mar 19,17 
I order 3/32's

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:47pm - Mar 19,17 
The bait shops are selling1/16 which we k ow works. 3/32 is good 1/8 is too muuch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01pm - Mar 19,17 
3/32 will extend more and last longer than 1/6, but you will need to use heavier weights.
After the weight is launched, when you reel in the line to attach the powerline, the rubber will start pulling the weight in, just like it does at the end of the day, when you pull the rubber.
The weight will stop at some point, when the force of the rubber contracting won't be able to overpower the weight. Thicker rubber will be stronger, and will put more pressure on the weight, so it will pull it closer.
Also when fishing in strong current, the thicker rubber will expand easier than the thin one, and your line will curb out.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: