Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:46pm - Jan 25,17 
New member to site, long time reader, especially this forum. Do all kinds of fishing. Posted a couple times in other forums. 30 years ago as a kid i would powerline with my dad at montrose. He would throw the weight by hand and use a home made rig. Haven't done it since. I discovered this forum a couple years ago and read the posts over and over. Studying them methodically. I was hooked. Bought an extinguisher and a rig. Last year put 6 coho on the concrete in about 7 outings. Conquered a 30 year goal. Caught on pretty fast but got skunked many times and have a ton to learn from you guys. I decided to post to first off thank all of you who posted in the past. How to setup, what to use, how to do it, winds, water clarity, fishing reports, ect. I owe a big THANK YOU to all of you guys. You have posted valuable information and can't wait to learn more. There's something about powerlining. Shooting out the weight, baiting all the hooks, hearing the bell go off, fighting a fish hand over hand. It gets in your blood and i'm hooked. More importantly the people. I've never met a group of fisherman like the powerliners at montrose. The brotherhood you guys have described in previous posts. Everyone wants to chat, share information, see what you caught, show you what they caught, teach, and help you catch fish. I've never seen other people just as happy as the guy pulling in the fish. That gets in your blood too. Catching is just a bonus. Being out there at montrose with a line in the water is just unbelievable. I would love to learn more especially from the guys that have been fishing since the beginning. Met a few great guys last year that gave me pointers, information, and netted my fish. I DONT KNOW MUCH, but will post every time i go out. Maybe i can help someone or give information to someone. I owe it to you guys who have posted in the past and have helped me out. Also maybe a new guy could learn something from the posts. i'll help in any way i can.

Mon. 1/23. Montrose. Set up in front of the sanctuary about 50 yards in from the sw side. Nice day. Water was calm. Light winds from the north. Seemed to me there was some current moving through. Water was green with good clarity. Maybe 4-6 feet i'm guessing. Put out 12 hooks with xl fatheads. 3 bobbers. moved my last bobber up a bit so the last 4 hooks went deeper. Hoping for maybe a brown or steelhead. Did not get a bite. Rig went smooth and great day to be out. Ran into a couple guys i met last year. Really nice guys. Talked to a few other guys walking by. One told me his buddy was out the other day and got 4 coho. He said their in. Pole fisherman had one bite but did not get the fish in. Might be a little early but couldn't resist getting out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00pm - Jan 25,17 
Hey man glad you're having a good time out there. I Powerlined for the first time last year after asking a bunch of questions here. Thanks to a user I bought a rig and a nice extinguisher from shaguna. Went out there looking like a timid grade school kid as I've never attempted powerline fishing. I was strolling my little grocery cart along the harbor when some guy asked me if I needed a spot.
Of course I said yes and that I needed help with everything since it was my first time. He moved his bucket to make room for me and helped me set everything up and even shoot. My first fish came withing 10 mins and I was hooked. People out there sure can be friendly, except when you are an amateur and cross their lines.. I had an elder Asian guy chew me up in God knows what language. All worth it though. Good luck out there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31am - Jan 28,17 
This is a great thread. I remember my first time powerlining. My boss gave me his old blaster and I got a rig from Henry's. I had no idea what I was doing!LOL! Luckily, when I was attempting to blast out for the first time there were a bunch of old timers by me and they showed me how to do it. Good thing cause I was about to shoot out with the line attached to the powerline lol. I didn't catch anything that day, but the comradery and the learning experience had me hooked. Every year now I can't wait till the season starts. Over the past few seasons I've had days where I got skunked, and days I got my limit in less than an hour. My favorite days are when I just get a couple. That way there's plenty of time for grillin, laughing and... beverages :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55am - Feb 13,17 
Powerlinning is one of the many reasons to love the City of Chicago. I'm sure some of you out there know Russ and Baby Girl (whether you want to admit it or not.... lol). But he was one of the first I saw catch a fish on a powerline. I was amazed and dumbfounded and still the image of the fish hitting his contraption is burned in my mind! I knew I had to make a rig after that. And I can't explain it just like everyone else, something about it I love so much and look forward to every year. My girlfriend use to think I was a good fisherman or something using that rig. Now I'm in Florida and don't catch much.....I miss the powerline, one of the loves of my life.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:06pm - Feb 13,17 
how's it going jay, any chance of you getting up here this spring? if so hit me up. going to be out this weekend.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37am - Feb 14,17 
No Bill I won't be able to. If I had more time off I would make a Spring trip. I will be back in June though as far as I know for Skamainia. I'll be living vicariously through the forum, patting backs of those going out there and leaving tips where I can.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00pm - Feb 14,17 
Was up blackjaw how u been ? I'm getting ready for this coho this year the weather is looking ok so far .. hope u doing well buddy

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - Feb 15,17 
rogersparkfishing wrote:
Was up blackjaw how u been ? I'm getting ready for this coho this year the weather is looking ok so far .. hope u doing well buddy

It was actually your post that inspired me to head to Montrose that day! I had known about powerlining for years. I think I saw it on Midwest Outdoors in 1990, and apparently from what I know now the guys have been doing it since who knows when. I had no intentions of powerlining the day I went to Montrose after your report. It just happened to be on of those days where MANY fish were being caught and to me the only thing to do was get into it. And yes, it has now become one of my favorite ways to fish. Hope youa re doing good as well. Get a few for me this spring!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56pm - Feb 16,17 
I'll be out their hearing this bells ring might get some video and post it up with a link to YouTube .. anyhow I been good just working and waiting on this fish and weather to get right and it's on 2017 let's start the year with some chrome on the concrete it was nice Fishing with you buddy ...

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:25pm - Feb 19,17 
One coho was caught today at Montrose on powerline.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:23pm - Feb 23,17 
Yesterday was my first day powerlining for the season caught 1coho fished for about 4hrs.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:43pm - Feb 23,17 
Captn_fishalot wrote:
Yesterday was my first day powerlining for the season caught 1coho fished for about 4hrs.

Way to go! Any size to it?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:12am - Feb 24,17 
Gentlemen fire your extinguishers! I miss it! There is a chance, slight chance I may go there for a weekened around April 4. Not sure, but a random thing might happen. Mom's birthday is then and I can use that as an excuse as it is in prime time. I miss powerline...I mean her so much lol. No, miss em both. Good luck out there guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15am - Feb 28,17 
Coho was about 1pound nothing to big, I tried yesterday no dice skunk..... tomorrow is going to be windy might give it a shot for a couple hrs

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: