Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Apr 23,16 
Well fellow power liners (and rod and reel guys too) we have almost completed the 2016 Coho season. I personally will probably only go one or two more times. It was great seeing the old faces (Chester, Norm, Angel, Bob, Ray, Jim, Orlando, Greg, Alex, Florin) down at the lake front and it was great meeting some new guys (Paul, Dave, "Beach Park" Bob, Fernando, Garro, Nick P, Noel, Fred) too. As usual I brought a few family members and friends with me this year and they loved it as usual. My friend Ray was astonished at how well everyone got along. He is used to fishing local ponds and he said he was amazed at the comradery at the lake front amonst the salmon fishermen. My other friend and I made his power line this year while fishing and put it out for a few hours, and he caught a couple of coho's. He is now addicted like the rest of us! It was great to see Paul on his first day limit out. What was cool about that is that Chester, Bob, Angel, Dave and I all gave him pointers. That's what its all about, helping each other. I had help from Lee(I think it is) six years ago at the lakefront to make my first power line and I felt great helping my buddy Danny and Paul. It was great to see them catch fish on their first days too. I didn't catch any fish my first year and like most rookies I pulled the line every time a bell rang from a big wave, but the year after and ever since I have caught fish, and I truly love it now. The point is that us Montrose fishermen all help each other. If you go to most other locations and ask how somebody did, or what are the fish biting on, you usually will get a short answer and sometimes it won't even be the truth. If you ask a power liner those same questions he will tell you how many fish he got, what they are hitting on, how deep his bobber leaders are, if it was in close or out far, and if it hit hard or if it was a light bite. He will then probably offer to help shoot you out or offer you some food. He will also net your fish after you set the line without a question asked. Weights get traded for hooks, and rubber gets traded for minnows and worms. That's just how it goes. Old time stories get told by the vets about the history of the lakefront and the history of power lining, and these stories are heard by young eager fishermen. Then what happens is that friendships form, true bonds are forged. True comradery and friendship exists amongst power liners and rod and reel guys at Montrose and the lakefront like no other place I have ever been fishing. It is true all fishermen share a bond, but I am partial to us lake front guys. I am proud to fish the big pond like my great grandpa, grandpa, father, uncles, and brothers did before me. I am PROUD to fish with all of you guys at the lakefront. I believe our bond at the lakefront is stronger than other fishermen. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash them, I'm just partial to what we have going. I truly enjoy fishing with all of you guys and I hope to see you guys at least one or two more times this year. If not, next January, I will be getting ready for power lining by dreaming of fire extinguisher shots and bells a ringing. Best of luck fishing guys and stay healthy.

Don

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:54am - Apr 24,16 
i was lucky enough to be there when it all started from the tossing out of weights as far as you could, till somebody shot out with a plumbers gun, till it progressed to the fire extinguisher you guys use now there was about 15 guys that fished the points at montrose originally they ran from about 17yrs.old(me) to a old greek guy named nick in his early 70's. there was my brother Sean, Nick Nauret,and his son Ronnie, Axel, a differnt Nick the Greek,Irish John, Irish Pat,Willie Greene(owner of park bait)Puertorican Angel,and a few others. you could drive right up and park 40' from where you were going to fish. the rocks there were dangerous and finding a flat place to put your bucket was hard to come by. the fishing was a lot better then and daily limits were common . i was dragged along a lot so our family could get a double limit. my job when not needed by my brother was to run up and down netting these guys fish( for awhile there i thought my name was"net"). night crawlers were the bait of choice and nobody and i mean nobody rigged up with more than 6 hooks. i got paid for all those trips up and down those dangerous rocks, those old timers paid me with how to, read the water, wind, currents,baits,knowledge it took them a life time to learn. anyway we didn't have cell phones or many pictures or the internet for memories Donimal is doing it right naming names recording history acknowledging the"brotherhood of the bell", the camaraderie is the same now as it was then only they drank a hell of a lot more beer. lol
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:54pm - Apr 25,16 
Well said, I mean so well said! We all fall into different generations of the lake, but we are all Lake Front Fishermen. I always say I am a proud shore angler. And yes there is nothing like fishing Chicago. I grew up in the 80's when there were lots of salmon in the lake, thinking it would be that way forever, not knowing it would be how it is today. The memories are still there, the lake is still there and we are still at it just as always. I'm trying to picture a young Denny Duck jumping up and down the rocks! I remember my dad and I jumping along the rocks too before they made Pastrick Marina. We would hope out so far and eat lunch and then fish. He would usually hook something and it was my job to loose it lol. My grandpa had a pass for Inland wall and I remember him sitting on a bucket breathing heavily counting one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand and start reeling. Then he would calmly say with "I go one". The big king would peel line. My dad would get the net, I would grab my dad's legs as the fish took many dives until it came to net. Being a small child the 16 lb kings were as big as me lol! Then I saw powerlining on Midwest outdoors in 1991, but I said I'll never do that how could it be fun. THEN I got into it as I was being totally outfished! Ever since then hooked on the fishing and the friends I have made. Grateful for the friends, nothing like it! So many memories, what a great lake. I know that there is a place in heave where it is a 80 degree April day with Coho ringing everyone's bells! Thank you to all my powerline friends and lakefront guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02pm - Apr 25,16 
Yea I remember the good old days too, and yes it is addictive and I love to help new guys too. Lots of memories.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: