Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01pm - Mar 11,16 
Ok guys I have almost everything I need for my powerline setup but wanna see if I'm missing something as well as some questions. My powerline setup has 22 snaps with beads. From the beginning of the powerline I counted 12 snaps with beads followed by a large barrel swivel and then the remaining 10 snaps. I'm assuming the first and last snaps are for floats. Correct? When I purchased this setup I got 3 floats, does the third one belong in the middle? I've seen guys out there and almost all of them have 3 floats out in the water. If so, I guess I'm left with 19 snaps for baited hooks, correct? Also would I place the "3rd" float on the snap right after the barrel swivel or the one before?

Also, the setup didn't come with any hooks at all. I'm thinking of using #4 circle hooks, but what length leaders should I use from the snaps to the hooks? What pound line?

I bought a 2 piece cat fish rod so I can use the bottom piece with reel to retrieve the rubber band. Now, what pound line and how much line do I need on the reel? I've heard 100-150 yards of 10-15lbs line accordingly. Does this sound about right? I mean all its doing is stretching rubber after all...

And lastly, the setup came with a bell mounted on a thin flexible piece of metal (almost looks like a hacksaw blade) that screws onto a piece of wood on topen of a bucket. I just don't understand how to attach the line to the "blade" I'll post a picture of the setup.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:14pm - Mar 11,16 

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21pm - Mar 11,16 
Everyone has a different way of doing things when it comes to powerlining. My self, I attached the last snap to the rubber band let out 2-3 hooks and then attach a float. this allows those couple hooks to travel a little deeper. I then place another float mid way of the powerline and the final one (one closet to shore) a couple more hooks down leaving 2-3 hooks attached to the mainline that goes on the bell. Depth is something you have to play around with. This is why I have short leaders and longer leaders that attach to the float. This allows me to quickly adjust the depth of my rig by just adjusting the bobbers. Also, your main line should slide in between the bell and the other clip. Best of luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:33pm - Mar 11,16 
The floats I got are rigged for quick depth adjustability so I will definitely have to play around with that till I find the sweet spot. Between the bell and the other clip, I'm lost. ..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:44pm - Mar 11,16 
You have the bell to the right and a little blue/white foam piece on the other side. slide your main line in between the spacing of those two objects. hope that helps

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45pm - Mar 11,16 
mirandaxj wrote:
I'm assuming the first and last snaps are for floats. Correct?

Correct

mirandaxj wrote:
When I purchased this setup I got 3 floats, does the third one belong in the middle? I've seen guys out there and almost all of them have 3 floats out in the water. If so, I guess I'm left with 19 snaps for baited hooks, correct? Also would I place the "3rd" float on the snap right after the barrel swivel or the one before?

You don't necessary have to use the middle bobber. You use it in order to keep your longer line at the same depth, or you don't use it and let the line slack down in the middle and curb it down in the water column, in case the fish are a bit deeper then the depth your hooks will be at ( length of the line that ties the bobbers to the main line plus the length of your hook leaders).

mirandaxj wrote:
Also, the setup didn't come with any hooks at all. I'm thinking of using #4 circle hooks, but what length leaders should I use from the snaps to the hooks? What pound line?

You normally target spring coho, but you might get a nice 10 - 15 lbs brown or steelhead. Today someone got a pike at Montrose. So you want to go light, but not too light. In my case, I am using 12 lbs line for my leaders. Not sure about the hooks they are coated with some colored enamel, got them at Walmart. #4 circle hooks sound good to me as well. For the leaders, measure the distance between two sets of beads & snaps, then go with less than half of that distance. You do not want to allow the minnows on two adjacent hooks to tangle themselves.

mirandaxj wrote:
I bought a 2 piece cat fish rod so I can use the bottom piece with reel to retrieve the rubber band. Now, what pound line and how much line do I need on the reel? I've heard 100-150 yards of 10-15lbs line accordingly. Does this sound about right? I mean all its doing is stretching rubber after all...

Last night I put new line on my "shooting reel". (I am using a baitcaster for launching the weight, I can set the backlash and control how much line is being let out when the weight hits the water, so the line will not be blown over by the wind). Apparently the line was not that tight spooled on the reel, when I launched my first weight I noticed a few strains of wire hanging loose, I tried to take more line out by hand, ended up with a mess and I had to cut the line from the reel, then pulled the line back by hand, counting the length. It was about 420 feet, or 140 yards. So 150 yards will be enough (until something happens and it might be too short). As far as thickness goes, I am using the same 12 lbs test line I use for the leaders.

mirandaxj wrote:
And lastly, the setup came with a bell mounted on a thin flexible piece of metal (almost looks like a hacksaw blade) that screws onto a piece of wood on topen of a bucket. I just don't understand how to attach the line to the "blade" I'll post a picture of the setup.

The way John designed that setup, the blade with the bell will go in front of your reel, with the bell on the side (turned 90 degrees from the way you have it in the picture below), and you would stick the line in between the two sides of that cotter pin that holds the bell. That way, if you happen to get a big fish and you are not paying attention at that second, the fish will pull the line out from the cotter pin and take more line out from the spool, instead of pulling your bucket in, like it happen to many guys before.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:00pm - Mar 11,16 
Ahh that all makes sense now. Shaguna, the floats have 3" of line, so technically on my hook leaders I should have 3" as well right?

Cuca1 i figured out what you guys mean by putting the line through the cotter pin, thank you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33am - Mar 12,16 
No. The line on the floats has nothing to do with the length of the leaders. Together they add to the total depth your hooks will be suspended in the water and that is it. I was referring to the distance between two snaps that hold the hooks. If , for example, they are about 4 feet apart, if you put leaders longer than 2 feet, the minnows on the hooks can swim towards each other and tangle themselves up, so you will want to make the leaders shorter than 2 feet each. I usually have the leaders about 20 inches long, with the hooks spaced out on the powerline about 4 feet apart. Not all your. leaders must be necessarily the same length, varying them by a few inches will cover a bigger area in the water column.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:42am - Mar 12,16 
One more thing. If you will use copper pipe to launch your weight, make sure never to lift the tank by lifting the pipe without holding the tank, or launch the weight without holding the pipe. The fitting that swivels a little bit is made out of brass and it might break if you put too much tension on it. I had guys calling me the next day after I sold them a tank telling me they broke the fitting off by dropping the tank or not holding the pipe. While not impossible to replace that fitting, it has a special thread on it and it's not very easy to replace it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:25pm - Mar 12,16 
Ah ok got you. So I bought my hooks already all I got left to do is tie them and get out there! Thanks for all the help guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49pm - Mar 13,16 
Don't lay the pipe on the concrete either. I learned that the hard way haha

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:33am - Mar 14,16 
reno wrote:
Don't lay the pipe on the concrete either. I learned that the hard way haha

Ditto.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Mar 14,16 
Thanks guys. I'll be there Friday I'm guessing for my first powerline trip, hopefully someone from this forum would be there. I will need some help I think.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:37pm - Mar 14,16 
mirandaxj wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll be there Friday I'm guessing for my first powerline trip, hopefully someone from this forum would be there. I will need some help I think.

If nothing happens until then, I should be at Montrose around 10 AM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:55pm - Mar 14,16 
I'll see you there Mr Shaguna!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:40am - Mar 15,16 
Good luck Mirandaxj! Once your bell rings and you set that hook and pull in that salmon you're going to be hooked!! Spring time for you will never be the same, but in a good way!! I can't wait to read how you do.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07am - Mar 15,16 
Fishobession223 wrote:
Good luck Mirandaxj! Once your bell rings and you set that hook and pull in that salmon you're going to be hooked!! Spring time for you will never be the same, but in a good way!! I can't wait to read how you do.

Thanks for the good luck! I will definitely post up how I do!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: