Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:43pm - Dec 8,17 
So I decided to give this time of year a try for some of the big game that's chasing the perch. I have never powerlined this time of year so I did not have big expectations. Navy pier would have been great but it is not the most convenient for p lining so I chose to shoot at the planetarium, good wind cover. First hit was really nice, the bell was slammin like a son of a fish! Set the hook and one head shake and my leader was toast. Fish hit about 6ft from surface and very close to shore.
Next fish and last fish hit way the hell out there close to the bottom. I do not usually keep brown trout but this was a young fish at 16in and really silver.
Both hits came on fatheads. I had some roaches out there too. Fished from 7:30-12.
I think I may try the pier tomorrow and shoot N\E from the end. I am sure there are more big fish where the perch are.
I have heard of guys p lining for perch but wonder what or how you change the set up?
X-Mas bells are ringing!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56pm - Dec 8,17 
:gpost

I saw three lakers caught today at NP and heard of two others getting caught down the pier in the 3 hours I was there. Caught on gulp, cut bait and a panfish size plastic. I have yet to go to NP this year without witnessing at least 1 lake trout being caught. What used to be the exception is now becoming the norm. I filleted one I caught at 87th last week that must've had 20-30 3-8" perch in it's stomach that were mostly still fresh.
Good luck, and if you don't want to keep em' there's probably some one down there who does. :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18pm - Dec 8,17 
There's a diagram of a perch powerline on Henrie's website. http://www.henryssports.com/id21.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41pm - Dec 8,17 
reeldealoneill wrote:
I have heard of guys p lining for perch but wonder what or how you change the set up? ....

First of all, you want to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Lots of perch equals lots of hits, lots of perch caught, basically a non-stop workout pulling , rebaiting and releasing the lane.
You would want to lower the number of hooks on your line, I would say 6 is the best.
You would want to shorten the distance between your hooks, I would say 1 foot apart.
You would want to use a shorter rubber band, I would say 12-15 feet.
You would want to use hooks that won't be easy to swallow (larger hooks, long shank hooks, even jogs instead of hook). Removing the barbs from the hooks will also be a good thing, preventing you from killing a lot of dinks.
If using minnows, you would want to get a lot of them.

As far as the setup goes, like I said, 12-15 feet of rubber only, shorter distance between the hooks, and finding a way to keep your bait close to the bottom. One way is to use a system of weights and counterweights. Ler's say you have 1' leaders on your hooks, and you and to keep the bait a few inches of the bottom. so tie two weights to a couple of 2' leaders and attach them to your line before your first hook and after your last one. That will keep your line close to the bottom. But you don't want the bait to lay on the bottom, so you need to lift it up using small bobbers tied to your powerline right next to the two weights. The bobbers should be big enough to lift the powerline and the baits off the bottom, but not strong enough to lift the two small weights.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38am - Dec 9,17 
I get what your saying shaguna and thanks for the intel. I may try this just to say I did it and fish a new system, I like to build stuff and watch it work. The other thing is I can catch perch pretty furiously with rod and reel so why re invent the wheel. Great way to do it though. I guess I would just throw the weight out there too and leave the shooter at home. Frickin weights would end up in the water plant.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25am - Dec 9,17 
reeldealoneill wrote:
I get what your saying shaguna and thanks for the intel. I may try this just to say I did it and fish a new system, I like to build stuff and watch it work. The other thing is I can catch perch pretty furiously with rod and reel so why re invent the wheel. Great way to do it though. I guess I would just throw the weight out there too and leave the shooter at home. Frickin weights would end up in the water plant.

Also, you don't need a lead weight, Just find yourself a big enough rock and that will do it :)

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: