Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:15am - Nov 19,15 
WE ARE GEARED UP AND READY AUTO PILOT CAN ALLOW THE GUY WHO SPENDS ALL THE MONEY ON THE BOAT THE CHANCE TO GET IN THE BACK AND ENJOY IT BEING READY FOR SPRING COHO SHOULD NOT BE A LAST MINUTE ENDEAVOR lIKE MY CUSTOMER FRIEND HEWES CRAFT JOE
LAST SUMMER JOES BOAT boat was the last straw in dealing with the endless excuses from suppliers why did not have the hose's we needed to finish a job "Oh you can always use a longer hose" well that may be what SHE says but not the case with auto pilots some hoses have to be specific lengths for components to work properly
so Joe its all your fault we had to buY this expensive equipment . you actually just helped us make a decision we have avoided as long as we could stand it If we would have had this equipment we would have delivered your boat to you at least 3 weeks earlier. there was just no way we where going to put the wrong hoses in there just to get it out the door
3 weeks dont seem like much but can easily have you totally miss the spring coho run !! OUCH!!!!

BRINGS ME TO A IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH !!

AUTO PILOT NOW !!! For the guys wanting it for spring

although we can now make our/your hoses in minutes we get backed up with auto pilots every spring not to mention all the other electronic stuff guys wait till spring to finally pull the trigger on
now back to Joe
>>>>how do you like the auto pilot ?<<<<<<
Joe has 2015 HEWES 190 SEA RUNNER HARD TOP WITH a Garmin reactor AP with the smart pump It runs the big motor is set up with a tie bar for the kicker we have installed a troll master to control the speed on the kicker so this set up can be used for both going out to the fishing spot controlling the main motor and control the steering on the kicker at under 1 mph because this unit is getting thru some magic set up programming by the wizard of AP Derrek getting its speed from a high speed network thru a Garmin 5212 head unit
i know it is a sweet set up but like to hear from Joe how he likes the way it works ???????????????

not A BAD FISH FOR FIRST TRIP !

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31am - Jan 7,16 
all Garmin auto pilots (and i am sure many other brands as well) have raised their auto pilot pricing for this year any quote we gave out last fall will need to be adjusted accordingly .
lets get this party started think spring !!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06am - Jan 8,16 
Lets talk auto pilots for a second
THIS IS ESPECIALLY FOR THE GUY THAT BUYS A BOAT WITH AUTO PILOT
we try to go over all of this with the folks that buy their auto pilots and have them installed here
Some guys might not yet know these facts and DONT need to find out the hard$$ way
Expensive auto pilot pumps fail when they are one of a couple things
#1 not properly tunes system and pump is over working constantly cycling (OVER-STEERING)
system need calibrations and on water tuning re adjusted
#2 SLIGHTEST LEAK IS NOT ACCEPTABLE a pump thats run low on oil will fail prematurely
#3 you dont have to wait for leak to repair a hose or a wore component

>if you see a leak fix it !
>if you see a worn hose replace it
>never use substitutes for steering fluid unless its a emergency to get back in safely if you have to do this flush system immediately upon return to safe harbor
> check you fluid level often and keep it full with extra fluid on boat remember when hyd. steering FAILS its failed and dont work at all often with no warning this happens very rarely to a system with just the slightest care but when it happens you are with out steering usually stuck going around in a circle
Calumet marine keeps in stock 90% of every thing you might need to get the boat up and running back in good order the same day including the proper steering fluids, hyd. helm oil, O rings, components and equipment to properly assemble custom hoses of any size from 6" to 600' a couple Garmin pumps
some of the popular steering cylinder rebuild kits, cylinder bleeder kits.
all this to get you back on the water the SAME DAY if at all possible
keep our number handy !
always include steering system checks as part of your daily check list before leaving the slip
always with auto pilot keep a safe look out its real easy to get to excited about whats going on in back of the boat and get to close to another boat out in front of you (been there done that) luckily in my case no collisions

Think spring and coho fishing !!!!!!!!!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59am - Nov 2,17 
This is the one when it comes to auto pilot
not the most expensive
but defiantly the best performer when it comes to trolling in fresh water
check out the video

https://youtu.be/-PDSHeFhKFA?t=3

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:13am - Nov 2,17 
I just wanted to throw in a recommendation for the GHP 20. We installed it in the spring and this year was the easiest year we've ever had for piloting the boat. Its absolutely perfect and holds for us in all seas. And this is despite the fact we have stock Tiara rudders that have not been extended. Its a huge step up from our Raymarine pilot. I also was able to use the course plotting features to hunt for fish by punching my fishing waypoints for various humps that have held fish in the past and engaging the pilot in a course to troll over them. Most navigation is done off our 12 inch touchscreens too.

For cost savings and for easier installation, I would recommend leaving out the shadow drive. if you are used to hitting the standby button like I am its not needed. Its expensive and I never use it. Also, the only problem we had in installation was a leak at the shadow drive initially. In fairness though, we did over-pressurize the system initially.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Welcome to Chitown! » Now a Message from our Sponsor's
Jump to: