Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50pm - Apr 30,17 
Woke at 5:00 am to check the weather, rain and lots of it, around 8:30 there looked to be a break in the weather and headed out. John and I launched by 9:00, first and only boat out, wow that's a first for a spring weekend.
Trolled for about 45 minutes and only produced one crappie. Shallows did'nt produce either so kept moving deeper. Settled in on rocky hard bottom ridges in 15 - 17 FOW, slip bobber and minnow or drop shot and minnow. very soft bite, many of the bobber bites came as you gave a slight tug on the line to move the float a foot or two. Had some heavy mist to contend with but who's complaining when you're catching fish. Released most of the bigger crappie, 13" to 14-1/2", caught at least 25 all together.
Left by 1:30 with only 3 trailers in the parking lot.

Pics to follow....Thanks Riverrat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13pm - Apr 30,17 
Gary and I had the exact same idea - I woke up at 5am and looked at the radar then took a step outside and went right back to a warm dry bed. About 9am Gary texts me that he is heading to Heidecke, which was funny because I was doing the same thing. I arrived at 10:30am and only two trucks in the lot, and they other guy was working on his boat in the launch :) :)

Gary's 14.5" slab

Honestly this is a typical haul when you go with Gary

Like Gary said it was slow work all day. I had 54° on the graph and figured the crank had no chance so pitched ringworms in the shallows. I had a big drum and this nice 20" walleye but that was it for a lot of ground covered.

Bite was very slow, barely any fish bothered my "Stier-Death" crawler, maybe 2 yellow bass all day which usually I pull it in because it gets tore up so much. Today I used maybe 4 crawlers all day.

About 1pm I figured I would work my way in and trolled some of the edges of the mud flats/rock bars on the south side. Picked up a bunch of short walleye, I don't think any touched 16" maybe 2 hit 15". On the way home scoped out the river and its already into the parking lot of Stratton Park and the Aux Sable is almost at the bottom of the canal via duct. UGLY.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 04:59am - May 1,17 
I was like the rest. Got up in the morning,looked out the window and decided to work in the shop on tackle. Way to stick it out guys.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06pm - May 1,17 
totally worth braving the weather!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46pm - May 4,17 
looks like this weekend and all next week will start improving, cool nights but warming days in the 60's. Let's hope the crappie and walleye respond favorably.

See you out there.

Fish On

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: