Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Mar 25,16 
My cousin just bought a small pontoon boat and lives very close to the lake. He doesn't fish much and is relying on me to find crappie some time soon. I have never fished it and could use a little help. We are both retired and it doesn't matter when we go. I watched a couple of videos on U tube but they didn't tell me a lot other than to find wood. It 's a big lake and I don't think we will be able to scoot all over. Thanks for any replies.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:03pm - Mar 25,16 
Patoka is a sizable lake but you absolutely will be able to scoot all over it on a small pontoon boat.
If you are making a springtime trip, water temperature will be key point in decision making as to where to put-in and where to hunt your crappie. The waters of the Patoka River warm first and you will find “wood” all along the entire stretch of it in the form of standing trees, stump fields, lay-downs and man-made fish cribs. Walls Lake ramp, up the river east of route 145, would be a very good starting point over the next several weeks if it isn’t too muddy from any recent heavy rain prior to your trip.
You will catch crappie on Patoka by means of any of your favorite methods. Hang a minnow on a hook under a float and enjoy the beauty of the land and sights surrounding you or troll a bunch of Bandits or Hornets out behind the craft, or pull Road Runners. Tie on a tiny Grizzly hair or feather jig and dip them alongside the standing or laying timber. Cast cranks through the standing timber.
Do old stuff and try new stuff, it all works on Patoka all year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54am - Mar 26,16 
Thanks Any, for that detailed report. That will get me on the right track. I will let you know how it turns out.

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: