Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12pm - Nov 9,10 
I swung by Lake Shelbyville on my way home from the Lake Sara trip and did some fishing. I want to make a few trips down there next year. I like to camp, regardless of season, and prefer primative sites.
If possible I would prefer a campsite on the water, and where I can beach my boat in camp. Similar to the primative White Oak sites at Lake Evergreen.

Looking for any recommendations for campgrounds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29pm - Nov 9,10 
I've camped there. check out the US Army corps of engineers website. They have 5 or 6 campgrounds i think. Your idea about beaching the boat at your campsite isnt too feasible. The shoreline on most of the lake is very steep 70 or 80 degrees and quite aways down.

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54pm - Nov 9,10 
You can camp at Lithia Spring campground and you can pull your boat right up onto the sand banks. When we were there in October there were a few boat in the coves around the campgrounds that had boats beached.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12pm - Nov 9,10 
Gunner,d'ja do any good at Sara? We had three good days despite the wind on Nov 1-2-3.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:02pm - Nov 10,10 
Lithea Spring is a nice campground on the top of a point(probably alot bigger than I remember), you can bring boat up on shore. I would get a backbay site where your boat would be more protected against the wind. I never understand why anyone would take a primitive site ??? My buddy always picked Primitive to save $2 now you save $5. I always like water/electric at my site, picnic table, showers and toilets close by. Primitive usually has long grass, ticks, lowland flooding, pit toliets. Why do you prefer Primitive camping ???

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:54pm - Nov 10,10 
Basscaster wrote:
Lithea Spring is a nice campground on the top of a point(probably alot bigger than I remember), you can bring boat up on shore. I would get a backbay site where your boat would be more protected against the wind. I never understand why anyone would take a primitive site ??? My buddy always picked Primitive to save $2 now you save $5. I always like water/electric at my site, picnic table, showers and toilets close by. Primitive usually has long grass, ticks, lowland flooding, pit toliets. Why do you prefer Primitive camping ???

I'm with Basscaster on this. Lithia is a very nice campground and as I recall there was a place to pull your boat in but I don't know if there were lots adjacent. If they were, they had water and electricity. Primitive? Don't you need to charge your batteries?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07pm - Nov 10,10 
Lithia Springs, thanks Ill check it out.

Primative camping- Its a Marine Corp habit. :)
Actually I dont need electricity, I carry all my water in, pit toilets are functional, otherwise I carry a shovel and TP for the morning constitution. Shower, why? If I must shower or use a flush toilet I can always head to the shower house, I dont mind the walk.

Primative= less weekend warrior campers, loud music, and obnoxious drunks.

I cook everything over an open campfire and sleep under a tarp on the ground, even in the snow. Although this year I started taking out my dining fly (10'x20' portable garage), and a cot. Put the picnic table and cot under the dining fly, and I can sit there all night long enjoying the fire, even in the rain while tent/trailer campers are inside doing nothing.

No I dont need electricity to charge my batteries. Im not a Bass fisherman and dont troll all day long. Altough my trolling battery will last all day, and half the next if needed. I tend to motor to major areas, then troll local cover to crappie fish. I have a second battery for my safety equipment. My motor is pull start, I could even go without power and still fish all day long.

I like to keep things simple.
One day we should go camping. Iv'e been camping one weekend a month for the past 18 years, prior to that was 4 days a week for 3 years, and prior to that every change a kid in the Colorado Rockies could, which was often in the summer.

Besides, primative sites are a luxury, I backpack (carry everything in my pack for the week), usually 50 mile treks at a time. You'd be amazed how wonderful mother nature is without all the creature comforts of mankind.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16pm - Nov 10,10 
Lithia springs is nice...thats where i camped. its not loud and pretty secluded site to site. especially at the end of the loop

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:41am - Nov 11,10 
Good stuff Gunner!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06pm - Nov 12,10 
GETDANET1 wrote:
Gunner,d'ja do any good at Sara? We had three good days despite the wind on Nov 1-2-3.

I caught a lot of dinks, set them free to grow into big boys for next years trip.

Also caught a few keeprs, which ended up in the fish fry Saturday night.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 10:03pm - Nov 12,10 
Gunner wrote:
...Primative camping- Its a Marine Corp habit. :)

"Please stop digging foxholes. -- the Management." :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46am - Nov 13,10 
:bear don't try to enter the perimeter with-out knowing the secrete code word either........fox holes that's funny Bears fan....will have to hit that spot with ya soon Gunner....what's your eta to there from base ?? thinking black friday and return late sat..... :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:04pm - Nov 13,10 
Wishing I could go again, however Thanksgiving weekend is full of traditions around here. I'll have to pass this time.

Its about a 2 1/2 hour drive to there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:47pm - Nov 13,10 
will get back to you on that :drink

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: