Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58pm - Nov 4,10 
I left early Thursday Oct.28 and headed to Springfield area. I fish a few hours on Otter and the next day I fish Gillespie Lake. Bassing fishing was slow even though I saw a ton of shad. These were two nice Lakes in the middle of ..........Illinois. I was heading NW to Jacksonville and was almost there when I decided to make a U-Turn and head South. It was friday afternoon and Jacksonville closed Sunday so I thought it might be crowded and the weather 120 miles south was about 5 degrees warmer. It was getting Late so I stopped in Litchfield and fished Coffeen in the morning with just the trolling motor. This Lake is a Bass factory but Bass had no size but I needed to refresh my Fish feeling/Hook setting skills(hehe - I REALLY needed this refresher course). I had Fun, ate at the Rte 66 restaurants (Litchfield cafe & Aristeo's(guess). I then went down the road to Lake Vandalia and had another tough day catching fish but exploring new water is what it is all about to me and for Future bass fishing trips. I left around Noon and headed to Murphysboro(17th street Barbecue). I fished Cedar twice,and Beautiful, Full of structure Lake of Egypt. On Thursday Nov. 4, I was headed to LOE for my last day of Fishing when I had to stop by the Carterville Crappie shop, ALL crappie Bait shop. The nice Lady tells me Rend Lake crappie are biting so I change my game plan and head to Rend Lake on the way home. I get my crappie 15 under 10 inches(9ers) and 10 over 10 inches(wierd limit rule?) and get Home late Thursday night. I talked to other Fishermen and here are their reports. Kinkaid is good for Muskie(follows and fish) and Crab was good for Bass(Topwaters). I meet sooooo many great People on this trip. Everyday I met a few Illinoisians who I just connected with especially talking Fishing. It is a refreshing change from the Wisconsin or KENTUCKY. I guess I have the gift that Fishermen share/mark their spots, show me their lures and just like to B.S. for 20/30 minutes before or after a day's fishing. Monday or Tuesday I am invited to Fish Big Bass at Private Lake Iroquois with a Guy I just met. Thanks To everyone who made this final trip of the year a GEM !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - Nov 5,10 
Hey Basscaster nice post. Reminds me of many of my posts in that the places you stop after fishing like 17th Street Grill become a big part of the fabric of the trip as a whole. Like the surprize of finding a breakfast place that just blows you away with their attention to detail - ham off the bone, great hashbrowns and the like. The people that you meet along the way that add to the experience. Love the Carterville crappie shop - just found it this past October. Having now my second child at SIU I've become a fan of that whole Shawnee National Forest area and experience. Sounds like you'll be back. BTW I never get attitude in Wi. but I've been hanging there long enough that I remember the names of most of the people where I spend my time and money.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31pm - Dec 17,10 
Rend crappie have been amaaaazing this fall. It's almost too easy out there. We caught three limits in a short amount of time two weekends ago. Haven't been since then, but myself and a couple buddies are going on a wild goose chase for walleye at Kinkaid tomorrow.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:47am - Dec 24,10 
SIUbassin / Ben, how'd your outing on Kinkaid go? I primarily fish muskies on Kinkaid but always wanted to run into a walleye. Did you have any luck?

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: