Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:46am - Sep 23,10 
Taking my son to Lake Sara for his 18th Birthday. Meeting my dad there as well. We will have two boats. One for my son and his friend mainly bass fishing. One for my dad and I going for crappie and/or keeper bluegill. I suppose my son would like to catfish at night as well.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since we have never been there. We are staying at Anthony acres. Like the subject says...October 8-11.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:17pm - Sep 23,10 
JW,

I would suggest that you do a search on the site because several guys hit that lake about that time every year.

I went up with a DWF and Chas a couple years ago and we pounded crappie working all the docks, it was a blast.

I would also PM Dances With Fish, he used to fish that lake a bunch and can probably give you some good information.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:59pm - Sep 23,10 
Downsize. Use super small slip floats, like they use for ice fishing. Small jigs 1/80 and 1/64th ounce with small plastics like nail tails. Use small split shot to balance the float. Bring plenty of spikes(maggots) not waxworms(they will work but spikes stay on much better and don't have a floating effect) and tip the jigs with them. Fish any and all the docks casting right up and next to the posts. Some of the jig/plastic combos I like are pink/white and chart/green. Move from dock to dock and find productive ones. Once you find a dock holding crappie, sometimes you may only catch a few at a time. You can keep coming back throughout the day and catch a few more each time. You will definately catch gills.
As far as bass go..... White spinnerbaits at the backs of coves holding shad, cranking points and rip rap, and fishing finesse plastics on the docks and downed trees will all work.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Sep 23,10 
Thank you very much for the report. I'm going to start to get my stuff ready ASAP and the more I know, the more confident I know at least someone had success with the things I am purchasing. Thanks to GetdaNet forthe PM also!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08pm - Sep 23,10 
JW,
Make sure you hit the docks at the end of cabin#12 a couple times a day. Try at dark with that overhead light. Got a bunch of crappies last fall but they were tight under the docks and by the posts.
Good luck.
Tell Tony & Bobbie Bill says hi.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:26am - Oct 12,10 
I would like to thank everyone that gave me ideas for fishing this past weekend. My son and his friend caught about 14 LM Bass. a few of which were 2.5-3.5 pounds. Most of them on white spinnerbaits fishing the steel break walls. Some on points. Some of them on chigger craws? texas rigged. A couple of stripers and crappie and actuially bluegill hit their bass lures too.
My dad and I got plenty of crappie and bluegill with a cat/ striper mixed in (I don't know if those are white bass or stripers?) Bluegill were tight against the break wall Monday morning before we left. I had a blast with my fly rod and a foam spider casting right to the wall. The crappie came mainly on minnows in trees maybe 7-10 deep in 15 FOW.
Brought home 8 bags of filets and quit keeping them Sunday night and Monday morning. Thought we'd relax when we got back. Could have had 4 or so more.
First time at Lake Sara...would love to have one of those houses. My Son and his friend had a blast. Since he is 18 now,, I let them had my boat which has a 70 HP on it and they were going back and forth like they were in a bass tournament. I think they had just as much fun with the boat as they did with the fish HA HA..
Had a one room efficiency at Anthony ACRES. Never again will we get tthat upstairs room with 4 people. Otherwise happy with staying there.

One more thing.....saw GETDANET and GOOSEHUNTER when we were leaving. I'm sure they will do well.

God Bless

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45am - Oct 16,10 
We did. Glad you had a great adventure with the family. Next time try some of the newer rooms. It's a few dollars more but worth it.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:00am - Oct 16,10 
jwilliams, it was good meeting you. My thumb is raw from all the Crappie we caught had to start using a rag to hold them to remove the hook!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:39am - Oct 18,10 
John and Goosehunter.... Glad you had fun. Did you get any out of that tree we were talking about or was that Starcraft still there? We will either try the new rooms next time or maybe rent a house. I saw online that there is a fairly reasonable house on the water for rent. I'll have to get more info.

Oh well. My fishing is soon to be over. I coach HS wrestling and seaon is very near. Take care and great report with pics!!!

Joe

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: