Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Jul 18,10 
Had a very nice night on Evergreen with some friends from the Riverside Fishing club. After a passing thunderstorm the lake was very cooperative. We were targeting the crappie. We started catching them almost as soon as we dropped the minnows in the water.

We started out fishing in 10-12 feet of water on a nice flat next to some weed beds. While casting a Fuzzy Grub with a half a nightcrawler I caught several small Saugeye and thought I missed a couple of nicer fish. There were also a couple of white bass and one yellow bass caught in this area.

There seemed to be a definite thermocline set up at 15 feet. Nothing marked on the bottom deeper than 15 feet and no fish suspended below 15 feet. When the sun went down we put out floating lights in about 23 feet of water just outside one of the little bays. The baitfish showed up under the light almost immediately and the crappies were right there with them about 10 ft. down. Rich, my host and fishing partner even pulled several doubles up on the traditional crappie rig.

The only complaint was that though chunky, we never caught a crappie over 10 inches. Evergreen has dropped the size restrictions and I can see why.

If you are looking for a nice way to spend a peaceful evening on the water this is a great place to go within a couple of hours of Chicago. There is a $18.00 launch fee for non-residents and a 10 hP motor restriction. This is a terrific body of water for the small boat fisherman.

FisherDan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:44pm - Jul 21,10 
I went to school at ISU and fished Evergreen exclusivly bc it was soo close... caught some HAWGS outta there

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: