Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56pm - May 17,10 
I've dropped my boat into ponderosa twice and Eagle lake too , iced fished monster lake, and shore fished a few small ponds in the north unit. I know there are some nice fish in there, but like alot of strip mine lakes i know you have to know how to fish them, and what to use. My buddy actually caught a pike (21") in eagle on a spin jig with a plastic trailer while i was trolling shorelines and focused on rocky ledges, i know there are some big fish in there and i heard that soft plastics around the brushy shoreline are affective. any pointers or hints would be helpful, because i will not give up on Mazonia... i just need a good perspective from other anglers that have done well there. thanks...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49am - May 18,10 
PS, the place is a mystery to many, so don't despair. There are a few members here that consistantly do well in the pits of Mazonia. Unfortunately, I am not one of these. I would say that if you are going to devote a lot of time there you should get an accurate depth finder and try to plot some of the humps and holes. These are after all strip mines. They dig it out from one spot and dump it in another. Another tip would be to check out google earth. You can get some pretty good ideas about structure from the airiel views provided. You will see coves that would normally be blocked out by high reeds etc.

Check out some posts by Any Luc.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:20pm - May 18,10 
Eagle, Ponderosa and Monster are three of the most difficult lakes for the inexperienced Mazonia angler to catch fish in. Eagle and Ponderosa are gin clear infertile water and Eagle is often called the Dead Sea by many. Monster just might be the most fertile of all of Mazonia's lakes and has the greatest amount of natural forage for its fish to keep their bellies full on. All of the pits of both the north and the south units have good populations of fish, some being known to produce better numbers of specific species than others but every lake produces for us.
I have had my boat on and under Mazonia's waters most every weekend since ice out and have followed some species from deep haunts to the shallows as they have carried through seasonal movements.
Pike, largemouths and crappies have had their spawning windows open and close. I am not sure if the crappie were successful in making egg drops though, water temps have not been ideal.
Redears were making an attempt this past week but the water temps dropped off for them too before they could get their job done. Look for these fish to make another attempt towards the end of this week and the bluegills are getting set. Male gills have been fanning in the shallows are their mates are holding near by yet suspended over deep water.
I'm not about to give anyone any suggestions as to how to chase largemouth but I might be able to assist in putting other species in your boat.
Then again, I think if I were going to fish for largemouth in the clear pits, I would not do the things that I see most largemouth anglers doing, if that helps. There are no shad in the clear lakes, so you might consider imitating or even using their natural forage.
Pike are in many of the pits now and they are like Mikey; they'll eat anything.
Crappie are best in the stained water lakes and they follow the shad mostly. Find the bait balls and you have found the crappie.
Redears are always going to be relating to the bottom and should be up shallow now.
Bluegills, in the stained lakes, mostly relate to edges and can keep you busy if you toss baits at the base of the reeds. Bluegills in the clear lakes hang out mostly in deep and deeper water with the exception being during the days of the spawn.
Cats like steep breaks and they gather.
Yellow perch are good in the clear lakes and always relate to the bottom.
You might consider picking one species and spending time learning its habits and its fancies on the various types of water each of these pits have.
They're not all alike and they all fish somewhat differently.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - May 18,10 
Now THAT is a report you can build on. Thanks Bill.
Plenty of info for newbies and old salts as well. :D

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14pm - May 18,10 
Thanks for all of the info! i'll have to make it out there next chance i get and see what i can do. Tight lines!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:31pm - May 18,10 
I guess we simply must always pay attention to the type of water we are fishing and work that water appropriately. In the clear lakes, the fish haven't the forage that is afforded in the stained fertile lakes. You will find willing biters in the clear lakes but go after them with a manner of stealth and keep in mind what they feed on. Then when it comes to fishing those forage rich stained lakes, present a bait that will tempt the reactionary bites.
These lakes seldom disappoint and they are oh so mind pleasing.

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 08:35pm - May 18,10 
Spoken like a true professional. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - May 18,10 
Just like Chas E. said, spoken like a true professional. It's good to know there are shad in the stained lakes because i've got alot of shad replicating lures that usually produce in other lakes that i fish. I usually do well slow bouncing jig n pigs off of the shoreline, so it would maybe be worth trying that to. Like you said, it would be smart to focus on one species and try to figure out the most effective way to fish for it. Thanx again Any Luc for all of the helpful information!

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: