Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58am - Apr 25,10 
I was laid off so I headed down to southern Illinois for some early Spring fishing. I decided to camp at Little Grassy campground on the banks of Little grassy Lake. Imagine that coincidence ! Site are almost all on the Lake with shoreline boat parking right at your camp on most sites. Campground had about 60 sites with about 10 campers. I arrived on Tuesday Apr.12 and stayed 9/10 days. Water/electric shoreline sites were $25 night and 135/week or $400 month.I paid for 4 nights but turned in 4 days into a weekly rate.The lake has a 10hp limit. I fished for panfish the first few days and had limited success with my baitcasters and #15-#20 test(hehe). I had spinning reels and rods that were to heavy to throw the 1/16oz pintail jigs and the real successful panmen used 1/32 oz for the slow fall and control in the shoreline weeds.Gills and redears were under the grass and crappies were outside the weedpoints, or at various levers at Beaverhuts. Air temps were in the mid 80's for several days and then fell into the mid 70's over last weekend and finallin low 60's this past Thursday Friday at Newton. water temps were 65 at Grassy and cedar. We caught enough quality panfish for a fish fry on several days and bass were extremely slow at Grassy.I had a good neighbor from Homer Glen who I ate with and he lent me a ultra light rod.I also hung with some young turkey hunters who drank Yager bombs and gobbled till 11pm for the 3 nights they camped next to me. I also witness 3 of the guys let a small snapping turtle give them a tattoo when they let him bit their arm. It was extremely funny watching them try and pull the snapper off their stretched skin and the long neck of the baby snapper.They killer 4 nice Turkeys and found about 40 morels 1 afternoon. I took the boat out Sunday afternoon to fish Cedar for a few days. Cedar bass was OK with several Bass caught in 3-5lb range. Cedar is a beautiful lake with 50 feet bluffs all over the lake and was 9.7 miles away from grassy campground. Fishing pressure was low both weeks at these lakes also. I had my best action throwing a 10 inch Reaction Innovation worm in the grass/weeds with no weight and the same worm with a small bullet sinker. Cedar was a good crappie and really nice bass Lake. A bass tournament on Crab Orchard this past weekend(150 boats) had its worst weigh in ever in 30 years. I think 5 boats had over 10# on Saturday and fishing was the same on Sunday except of 1/2 teams. I then headed to Newton on Thursday and friday. I caught about 15/20 bass total with no keepers.This Lake has been a HUGH Disappointment the past 2 years. I talked to a few guys who had similar results. There was a bit of a topwater bite super early and after 7pm Thursday. Friday it drizzled until I got to the lake and sky was dark till 12pm when I headed home. Fishing was slow this morning also but there was alot more boats on the water(30+), alot of locals fish when it rains on Newton. It was really nice to be sitting in the boat with the warm sun or at camp with a cold one overlooking the lake.I will be heading South again in 2 weeks. I will keep you posted.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03am - Apr 26,10 
Great story! Good luck on your return trip!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:40pm - Apr 26,10 
Basscaster - Nice report, were leaving on the 9th for Newton & Kinkaid. Hopefully the weather and the fishing co-operate for us !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Apr 27,10 
I called my buddy and he sent me a e-mail on the fishing. pm me your e-mail and I will forward his report.Also pm before you go and I will call him or e-mail him.He fishes Lake a few times a week, he might be headed to Mill Creek also.he was Catching them with deep cranks on points. I saw guide fishing by coldwater ramp with carolina or worms in about 10 feet and he returns around 6:30 for some topwater action. I slept in lot on first night because I left Cedar at 7:30pm and it was 11:30 when I got to Newton(few stops).I was making coffee on point at daybreak and this old timer fishing in a $100 rowboat and an old trolling motor caught about 8 bass in 15 minutes and 1 catfish throwing(flyrod) popr right up to the weeds in about 1/2 ft of water. He caught just as many bass as I did that day in about 10 minutes.

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: