Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Apr 12,10 
I might be heading down the 2nd week of May to do some Bass fishing. I am thinking about hitting some of these during that week (Carlyle, Clinton, Kinkaid, Newton, Shelbyville, Rend, or Sangchris) What kind of action can one expect during this time ? ?

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 03:24am - Apr 13,10 
I have never fished sangchris or newton but I would skip all those and go fish Kinkaid. Beautiful lake and MONSTER bass. Bass that will haunt your fishing dreams. Buzzbaits and "mat baits" are a blast there!

Clinton is an awesome lake too but not as scenic.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Apr 13,10 
didnt see it on your list...but try Lake of Egypt. Its a cooling lake so early season is excellent for bass. Its roughly around I24 & I57...maybe 15 mins off the interstate.

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:03pm - Apr 13,10 
Sangchris is pretty good. I'm heading down there the weekend of APRIL 23, 24, 25TH. Lots of big bass in there. Its good in early spring because of the warmer water. There is also a real nice state park campground with sites that but up right to the lake. There is a 25hp motor restriction.

Good Luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51pm - Apr 19,10 
Atitagain07 - I was looking for a place to stay on Kincaid for a couple of days. Do you know of any resorts in the area ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43pm - Apr 19,10 
There aren't any places on the water, but your best bet is to stay in Murphysboro. I don't know any places off the top of my head, but you'd be fine there or in Carbondale. I actually headed out there in the morning and will let you know how it goes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41am - Apr 20,10 
Hey figure eight try stone creek golf course on Rt 51 S of Carbondale just N of Makanda Rd. They have about 8 newer cabins with fire places & a 'fridge some with kitchens mix of 1 & 2 bedroom. Google it as they are on the web. Try also 'cabin on the hill' on the web. Giant city SP has nice cabins if the Cliffs at GC are available they are cooler than the Prairie cabins. The fried chicken at the Lodge at Giant City especially Sunday served family style is well worth the drive about 5 miles s of walmart on Rt 13 on Giant City Rd in to the park and follow the signs. Don't miss 17th St Grill in Murphysboro N at Dairy Queen (17th St) for a great BBQ (only 3 time Memphis grand champion) in a place I love that can be jammed on weekends especially if there is anything going on at SIU. Sit on a picnic table outside with a couple of cold ones to pass the time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Apr 20,10 
Well put, Grindstone. Couldn't have said it any better myself. If you are looking for something cheaper and closer to the lake, I think visiting fishermen stay at America's Best Inn on the east side of Murphysboro.

It was tough out there this morning. We got on the water a little later than I would like around 8, but caught two small keepers right away on a spook. That bite died quickly as we didn't get another bite on it. I caught one short on a frog, one pitching a tube to a tree in about 13 feet of water, and my buddy caught a couple on a Strike King Series 4 out of the same tree. We ended up getting off the water around 11:30 for a date with class. You oughta be able to catch them pretty well throwing a frog or swim jig in mid May.

If you are going to be at Kinkaid, I think you should spend a day at Crab Orchard. I think you have a better chance at catching a true trophy fish there than any of the bigger lakes down here. Wherever you go, let me know and I will give you my best current report.

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 09:06pm - Apr 20,10 
I apologize for not getting back to you but sounds like these guys have more current info.

It has been a longtime(10years or more) since I fished Kinkaid and we stayed at a motel somewhere in murphysboro.

Definitely will be interested to hear of your trip where ever you go.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28pm - Apr 22,10 
Thanks again for the info, It looks like were going to spend a few days on Newton at Outdoor Sportsmans Lodge. And then it's off to Kinkaid for a couple more days. Were probably going to try and get a cabin for the rest of the week down there. It looks like there are some nice places around in that area. SIUbassin, Were you able to get a water temp out on Kinkaid ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59pm - Apr 25,10 
I had some friends out there this weekend and said it was in the mid sixties. I know a few weeks ago it was well over 70, but it's been a cool couple weeks down here. I'll try to keep you updated on what the temps are looking like on the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Apr 26,10 
Thanks, we will be down there in 2 weeks. We might fish with Chad for muskies on the first day and then play it by ear. I'll let you know how we do.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50pm - Apr 26,10 
Grindstone has got in right with Giant City! I ate atm the lodge about once a week in the warmer months in my time at SIU! Even made it out there once during deer deason a couple years back. I fished (and hunted) a good amount when I was in school at SIU. I have to say that my go to spot was always Devils Kitchen. Pulled my first 10 pound bass out of there and had many very productive days on that lake. Even pulled a good amount of trout out of there was well. They made for many good meals! I always like the shore structure of Devil's Kitchen and the steep drop offs and coves full of trees always were productive for me. Even when I didn't go out in a boat, I had some Very porductive days from shore. Good Luck and make sure you hit the all you can eat friend chicken!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:05pm - Apr 27,10 
I ate at Giant City about 2 weeks ago. The all you can eat family style is everyday. I think I went on Thursday around 5pm. $10 .There's a good buffet at BP truck stop in Marion, great Chicken, stuffing and ribs.Those items had a real good taste to them. real good.You also can purchase Booze at Sam's Club right down the street in Marion with no Sam's card..There was a guy fishing Devils Kitchen in mid April, he was fishing Power bait gobbed on a hook and he fished right at the dam with no weight. He had 5 trout with biggest about 18 inches.

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: