Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:06pm - Aug 20,18 
Looking to take a fishing trip in 2019. Thinking Minnesota or Canada. Looking to catch walleye, smallmouth, nothern, your typical mixed bag. Dont want to break the bank and dont want to travel super far. Any suggestions within a 10 hr ride.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Aug 20,18 
My boy Matt and I fished Scout Lake Resort last summer. Clean and basic cabins. Great fishing, and a very friendly owner. Very economical! Lac Seul is a walleye factory. We didn't really target pike or smallies but got some real nice northern while fishing walleye and saw nice bass swimming around the islands during shore lunch. I recommend this place and will be going there next time I go to Canada. Lizzy the owner set us up with a guide Jimmy. Super nice guy, but not the greatest fisherman. We learned the lay of the lake with him but didn't really catch a lot. Fishing was awesome once we got out on our own - just kind of try a bunch of things until you get 'em going!

It may be a bit farther than your range, but what the heck you've already driven 10 hours just go a little furhter north!!

http://www.fishlacseul.com/Default.aspx

When Matt was real young, I searched for a resort just over the border - shorter ride for the kid. I found this place on Lake of the Woods. We went American plan and took it easy. Real nice cabins, great food, and dependable boats, Suprisingly (since it was so close to the border) the fishing was really good! Alot of walleye and sauger. Pike were there but you had to troll for them. That's not my cup of tea so we just focused on walleyes and caught a ton. Perry - the owner - guides. They hooked us up with a local guide instead who I think turned out to be a better guide then Perry. I forget his name - but he had British accent. Definitely ask for him.

http://youngswildernesscamp.com/

We did a fly in another year out of Red Lake (another trip outside of your 10 hour zone). It was what they advertised. All the equipment worked and the cabin was clean. The fishing was good but not what I expected. To be fair, there were a bunch of harsh cold fronts that blew through that week. So maybe that had an effect. Also, the owners sold out since then, and I dont know how good the new guy is

https://canadianflyinfishing.ca/

I've been to 3 lodges on Eagle Lake - Evergreen, Temple, and Fin & Feather. It's been years since my last trip - but Evergreen was the best. Eagle was a victim of pretty heavy fishing pressure and we had some tough days. They implemented slots and created spring fish sanctuaries since my last trip. I hear it has rebounded well but I have no first hand knowledge.

Here's another out of your range, but worth the extra time!! Lac Seul again, but further east from Scout Lake - i went with my brother in law and his buddies on trip 10 years ago. Great walleye and pike fishing here, and a better location than Scout Lake. Very economical if you have a group of guys. The owners are not the most attentive, and you may need to call a few times to get a response. Cabins were clean. We brought our own boats so no idea abou the camp boats. Did I say the walleye fishing here is awesome

http://www.mahkwa.com/

You can also give the boundary waters & / or Quetico a shot if you want to rough it. Fishing there is great, but my experience not so great - we had a very inexperienced canoing / camping crew along.

There's probably a bunch of great places 10 hours away. I made the drive solo with my boy up as far as Red Lake and would do it again. The extra time on the road was definitely worth it for us!

Green Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:36pm - Aug 20,18 
We took guides for a few days on a lot of the trips just to familiarize us with good spots and the hidden rocks. You can probably do real well without them but the lakes are big so there will be a learning curve.

Green Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48am - Aug 21,18 
Lake Minnewaska glenwood minnesota! 525 miles from ohare. cabin rentals hunts resort. and woodlawn resort. fished the month of june since 1965! walleye,northern, large mouth, small mouth, pan fish!and we ate well thank you!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04am - Aug 21,18 
Just got back from Lake St. Clair yesterday for a mixed bag of smallies, pike, musky, and walleye. The pike and the smallies were on fire. 2 smallies well over 6lbs and a bunch of 4 on 5 lb fish. Everyone said drop shot or jigs were the way to go this time of year, never actually tried one though as the fish proved to like a orange and chartreuse with brown squirrel hair tail mepps #5. Very interesting fishery and highly recommend it if you're looking to go out of state
Stayed in algonac state park campground and they had the cleanest nicest bathroom and showers I've ever seen at a camp ground.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39am - Aug 21,18 
My favorite multi species lake in Canada would have to be Rainy Lake. Big smallmouth, big walleye, big pike and the occasional big musky. Overlooked and driven past by most fishermen heading north but it's possibly the best for multi species fishing. Try "The Fisheries" Resort. Rates are canadian too.

http://thefisheries.com/

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:48am - Aug 21,18 
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=79140&hilit=Rainy+Lake

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:30pm - Oct 5,18 
Ely, MN is just within a 10 hour drive, check out that area: https://www.ely.org/
Lots of lakes/resorts to choose from, and you can always do day trips into the Boundary Waters. I've been partial to BWCA canoe trips in recent years, but there is a good selection of resorts on a variety of lakes. Burntside and Snowbank Lakes are gems, IMHO. There's also the White Iron/Farm/Garden chain, which isn't too far from town. If you stay on Moose Lake, you can probably get your boat portaged over to Basswood, which is a nice, big multispecies lake.You can find stuff at pretty reasonable prices, and there are a few things to do if you run into really crappy weather days as well.

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: