Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:01pm - Jul 9,18 
Heading up to Leech lake in August. Can anyone offer any tips or techniques for this body of water? Thanks in advance.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Jul 9,18 
That lake is so small, its a mud hole. Tongue in cheek. Actually is a huge lake, almost 3 lakes in one. I fished its neighbor, Cass, but never Leech. My best advice is get a guide the first day. He will show you some spots and what is working. Things change daily.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:07pm - Jul 10,18 
I go up to Leech every year for at least a week and fish. I am going up this year the last week of July. What side of the lake are you staying at? and what species are you looking to target?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:44pm - Jul 10,18 
Basically anything. Not big on muskies so mixed bag. Staying on the west side of the lake

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:12pm - Jul 10,18 
Will you be on Traders Bay or in Walker Bay?
We always stay at Brindleys Harbor in Traders Bay. Great evening and night walleye trolling after dusk in Traders bay up and down and around Pine Point

Definitely see about using a guide the first day or so there.

Northerns in the weeds, along with lots of perch.

Agency Bay along the shore, there are some steep drop offs along hwy 13 to the northwest of Agency Bay Lodge, tons of rock bass, some huge sunfish, occasional Walleye or Northern.

So many places to fish, for any type of action you want. Most resorts have an orientation night to clue in the guests to the basics. Ask questions, talk to people, and you'll do fine. BUT Be carefull! It's a BIG body of water and can kick up pretty quickly. Good Luck and Safe fishing!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07pm - Jul 10,18 
Hey bobbyz question for you, is the canal under 13 large enough to get a decent sized boat through to go from agency to trader bay? Thanks

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 High Seas quad rod trees
4 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Jul 11,18 
The Roosevelt Channel , Generally Yes, I have a 16' Sylvan Backtroller and it's easy! The depth is usually at least 3-4 ft . I've seen all kinds of boats up to my guides 19 ft YarCraft, , Lund Deep Vee 18-20'rs etc. There are Rocks entering and leaving the Channel on both ends but if you watch for the Bouys and stay between them all the way thru, you should be fine. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to cut over port or starboard anywhere short of the marker bouys or you will hit rocks!! They sort of line the mouth of the channel and extend a bit beyond the shoreline. The bridge has a pretty good height clearance.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:26am - Jul 12,18 
Thanks for the channel info, Have a 87 Lund Baron and wanted to make sure i could navigate under the bridge. Need to if i want to get my fill of Rockies, love those little guys to give the kids and wife some action and i might be in the minority ,but i love them in the frying pan too! Another question- Have you ever fished Cass next door and how would you compare them? I have been to Cass a few times, Leech only once about 15 years ago and it was tough due to constant 25mph winds and my lack of knowledge then.

2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:16am - Jul 13,18 
Never fished Cass, but a buddy of mine has for years. Always did well!
As for Rock Bass, At times, you can't keep them off your line. The stretch to the left (north-n/w) of Agency Bay Lodge ( as you are looking at the lodge) follow along the hwy road PAST all the boat docks to where the shoreline starts to curve, is usually loaded with them. Look for weeds on the drop off just out from shore. It drops quickly from a few feet to over 20'. They will hit worms, leeches just about anything. I like an 1/8 oz Jig with a leech, Berkeley GULP Leeches, or a 1/2 crawler. Some of those rockies will push 2 lbs! Also, I've taken some MONSTER bluegill mixed in with the rockies. If the water is calm, ( especially in the early evening ) I like to look for these thinner weeds that top out just below the surface that have small "heart shaped" leaves on them. ( usually in 6-10ft o w ,) and drop my jig down in them. I would take my kids there if we wanted to catch 50-100 fish in a couple of hours. The occasional rogue Pike or Walleye is also a possibility. Good luck and post a full report. I wish we could make it up there this year but unfortunately we can't, so I have to get my fix vicariously!.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14pm - Jul 14,18 
Thanks so much bobbyz, that's awesome. Not going anywhere this year as an injury has kept me sidelined since memorial day, probably won't get back to work til the fall. I'm scouting for future family vacations though and this info helps out immensely. When I do go I will sure post a report , thanks again.

2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13am - Jul 15,18 
reno wrote:
Basically anything. Not big on muskies so mixed bag. Staying on the west side of the lake

The narrows can really good if you can find the fish in the weed beds. Northern and bass can be caught on topwater at dusk.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: