Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32pm - Nov 14,10 
Well I told you I would post , even if we didn't catch anything, but since we DID I am to excited to wait for T-Bo to post the pictures. I do not have any pictures since T-BO has the camera but just wait.
T-Bo is going to give one hell of a posting when he gets the time.
I am just going to give a little info because I do not want to take anything away from his story :winker

Hey Rabbi, thanks for talking to us, it certainly put fish in the boat :thanks

Mark Komo, thanks for the info that you gave T-Bo

And thank you to everyone on the site for all the other info and all the good luck that was offered :drink

It all started when we left T-Bo's house at about 2030 hrs and arrived in Huron Ohio at about 0330 hrs, we froze are butts off for the first few hours trying to sleep in the truck, we got up and T got some coffee and off we went.
It was the most beautiful pristine day on Erie that you could imagine and the fish were biting- and they were froggin PIGS :shock :shock
T-Bo was like a good luck charm and he knows how to fish, oh and he is hard core, when the fishing gets tough he still sticks it out :allah

In a little while you will see his pics and you will see how the boat made it into this years pig club( BIG PIG CLUB)

Sorry to leave you all in suspense but I will not ruin his posting, it should be a good one :respect

Chris

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:37pm - Nov 14,10 
Now you know how I felt. ;)

Can't wait to read it ....

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41am - Nov 15,10 
Glad you had a great trip, looking forward to the pictures.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Nov 15,10 
Well that’s quite a buildup Chris. I certainly don’t have the talent to spin a yarn nearly as well as some of the other good folks on this site. But I agree that this site gives regular Joes like you and I access to information that would take years to accumulate by trial and error. So first and foremost I want to say thank you to everyone who makes this great exchange of information available.
Ok now that being said it was a fantastic adventure indeed. It started with a Friday evening departure around 8:30. Even though the trip took 6 hours the time seemed to fly by with some great conversation and the anticipation of the adventure that lies ahead. We reached our destination around 2:30 am only to realize we crossed over into another time zone it was actually 3:30. We didn’t have a room reserved anywhere so we drove around a little and got a bead on the facilities we would be using: the brand new public boat launch, the motel we would stay at on Saturday night and the Cranberry Creek Marina. It wasn’t long before we realized that this sleepy little town of Huron literally rolls up the streets by 10:00. We couldn’t find a single establishment that was open. So we went back to the boat launch and tried to catch a few winks in the truck. It was a little chilly at 30 degrees and after heating the truck up to a comfortable 70 degrees we nodded off. We awoke 2 hours later to find empty boat trailers parked on either side of us. People had come and gone and we didn’t even hear a thing. That’s a weird feeling to know that somebody may have been looking at you when you were asleep.
The heebes quickly wore off in anticipation of the days planned activities. The boat launch was coming to life as a half dozen or so boat trailers were queuing up to launch. So after a quick cup-o-Joe and a bite we headed to Cranberry Creek Marina to pick out the magic lures that would most certainly bring the big ones to the boat. We spoke to Bob the owner himself and he was very friendly and helpful. He gave us info on all the hot baits to try and even some coordinates to get started. We decided to launch from there and it wasn’t long before we had the boat in the water and was heading out to the lake.
The day was perfect if a bit on the nippy side at 35 degrees. But there was barely a puff of wind and the day was sunny and bright and full of promise. When we finally reached the desired coordinates and deployed our first Reef Runner “Bare Naked Perch”. We set the first line about 60 feet back. Line 2 was loaded with “Pink Panties” about 25’ behind a planer board about 75‘back. Lines 3 and 4 were loaded with “Fruit Loops” and “Glass Perch” on the planer set at 75” and 100” respectively. About an hour or so into it Essox called and we chatted with him about the game plan. Well Essox must have been good luck because while he was on the line rod 1 popped and it was game on! I was quick to step up to the challenge and with a minute or so Chris had to put the phone down while Essox waited to help with the net and we boated our first eye a nice 6 to 7 lb. beastie. I was just giddy over the size and quality of this fish. Had a little trouble getting hold of such a pig and ended up sticking myself through the side of the thumb with one of the tines on the front treble while it was still in the fish’s mouth. (Mental note: Reef Runners are friken sharp!) Before I could contemplate how I was gonna get it out of my thumb the fish went nuts again ripped the hook right out along with a little meat from my thumb. At that exact moment rod three popped and Chris was quick to the task. Well the Rabbi must have been getting an ear full because we clean forgot he was still on the phone. I was wrestling my fish into the live well while trying to control the bleeding and trying to ready the net for Chris’ fish. It was Chaotic for sure and Chris yelled to John well have to call you back. After a minute or so later we managed to boat Chris’s fish and it was even bigger. It had to be all of 9 if not 10 lbs. Holy smoke those are some big uns! I just could not believe the quality of these fish. How lucky are these Ohio brethren to have such a work class fishery right in their own back yard. We quickly reset the lines and continued trolling. Well things slowed a might after that and it was another couple hours or so before Chris was working to reset a line and a nice 6 lb. eye hammered his bait while he was reeling it in to reset the bait. Another couple hours passed with a few whacks but no fish. It’s amazing how fast time flies when your fishing. We kept at it and kept hearing chatter on the radio about “pink lemonade” 50’ feet back. After what seemed like an eternity, we decided to head back to Cranberry and pick up a couple of those suckers. It’s funny because 30 minutes after we had it in the water whammo another eater about 6 lbs. Unbelievable how these fish react to certain lures and colors at different times and can change their preferences in a heartbeat.
Well unfortunately unknown to us at the time that would be our last fish. We fished for 3 or four more hours with nothing more to show for our efforts. We finally trailered the boat about 9:00 pm. And headed for some grub and a well deserved night’s sleep at the Plantation Motel. Seemed like I barely closed my eyes and it was 6:00 am and it was time to get up and out for another days fishing. Unfortunately Mother Nature had a bad night and the lake was a churnin. Still we launched and headed out into the abyss Southwest wind was 10 to 15 mph with 20 mph gusts. Borderline in my opinion but traveled all this way so we weren’t giving up yet. Well fish were not in the mood to cooperate on this day and after about two hours of 4 to 5 footers and an occasion 6 and 7 footer I was starting to get a little green around the gills, not to mention wet, cold and beat up. It’s amazing the difference a day can make. So reluctantly I threw in the towel and ask Chris to take us back.
After what seemed like an hour and masterful driving by Chris we made port and after trailering the boat and changing out wet clothes we both conceded to our trip being over. Although we didn’t limit out I felt like the trip was a wonderful adventure with some fantastic world class fish caught. Pics are below for you to enjoy. I’ll load more later if I get a chance.
Lastly, I wanted to thank my host for an awesome trip. Chris you are truly a masterful captain and hard core fisherman. You are always willing to share information and honestly I learn something from you every time we go out. I look forward to our next Erie adventure in the spring and as many perching and ice trips we can get in until then. Thanks again.
T-Bo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57pm - Nov 15,10 
d,ja ever notice that in most of the big fish pics the guys are always in cold weather gear?
Great pics and sounds like you had a great time despite a lousy weather day.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Nov 15,10 
Good going guys. Those are some really nice lunkers. Glad you were able to get into them. But now I fear you'll be spoiled and I'll never get you up to Castle Rock Lake. :lol:

I especially like the picture of the "Lurking Lunkers"- huge! Ya gonna have to get a bigger livewell-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12pm - Nov 15,10 
T-bo you did a great job on the write up. Those are brutes. The only issue I have is that I swear that boat can fit three. :pdeye

jk great job guys.

Profile WWW  

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 04:35am - Nov 16,10 
Good job T-bo and Chris L.

Those are some nice eyes!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:08am - Nov 16,10 
Great write up Tbo. You guys did real well for your first trip there. It takes some getting used to seeing such big walleyes in the net everytime one comes over the transom. I was just about as excited as you guys when we talked talked a couple on the baits and couldn't stop laughing at your expressions. LOL
Great job, hope you guys can try to get back out there soon as the best is yet to come! There's still a couple big girls hanging around Cleveland, Lorrain and Vermillion that need to move back west for the spring spawn.

John

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03am - Nov 16,10 
Glad I could help. There has been smokin bite out there. Like John said, I will be hitting the night bite off cleveland over thanksgiving. Should be fun.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:34pm - Nov 16,10 
:shock wow nice fish guys wish i was there sounds like a good time hopefully next time

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Nov 17,10 
Hey T-Bo, I had a great time :thanks
I seem to get really lucky with the people I meet from this site, they are all really into fishing and having fun.
I had a great time on Erie last weekend and hopefully in the spring a bunch of us could go out there for some jig fishing, it is alot of fun :D
I cannot thank everone enough for the information that we recieved from other members of the CTA, I was almost freaked out by how the rabbi would call us and then while we were on the phone with him one of the poles would get hit. I think that he has a "IN" with the fishing god, but I dont want to jinx anything :winker

Saturday was a blast - great company, great weather and finally the fish were active. Sunday was a total different animal, the weather really sucked and the fish just did not want to cooperate, they were probably getting sea sick too.
Standing at the launch sunday and watching very small boats loaded with people going out in 4-6 waves, just confirms to me that when fisherman have the bug to go fishing , we turn into mindless idiots. I would never have gone out sunday if I didnt get that look from T-Bo that said " YOUR NOT SCARED ARE YOU". No T-Bo, I was not scared, just very worried, but he did not show one sign of fright and it was kind of funny watching him get bounced around from some of the waves :bigyuck

All in all this was another great trip with someone from this site :thanks

Chris

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: