Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49am - Sep 21,10 
Went fishing at the RV park/campground we own, and fished a mountain stream. Hayden Creek runs through it, but never makes it to the Arkansas River, only 5 miles away. Water is scarce and this stream dries up quick. In any case, there is a native population of a protected local fish, the Emerald Back Cutthroat trout. Caught and released a couple of them and here is a nice example of this colorful fish and the pool from where it came. I'm not a purist and I used a small Panther Martin spinner, no hair in gold. They nearly ate the spinner whole!

I hope to fish the Arkansas soon, but that river has had its problems with disease on the native trout. Now they are stocking "engineered" fish that are resistant to VHS and other disease. Hopefully the once world class fishery can rebound.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:26pm - Sep 21,10 
hans59,
The picture you posted is a German Brown Trout. You can tell by the orange dots with blue rings.
They are very prolific and great fighters. They are resistant to disease and warmer water which makes them a good match for the Arkansas River drainage.
This time of year is a great time to be on the Arkansas when the weather is nice.
Keep us posted.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:24am - Sep 22,10 
I hear you, but browns are not native in this steam. So you got me thinking, and after looking up some high country fish catches, this does look like a stream brown, moreso than a cutthroat. I'm sending the photo to the Forest Manager that visits our campground to see their thoughts. Planted by the former owners? Its not stocked as its too short of a run. Thanks.

Ok, here is a Greenback Cutthroat. I'm with you, leaning towards me catching a brown.

They're close, but the distinct red gill plate is missing on mine.

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: