Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54am - Sep 8,17 
Just got back from our wedding in Oregon. Right in time, as the whole area surrounding our venue is now up in flames thanks to some dumb a$$ teenager lighting off fireworks during a burn ban. Had a chance to hit the Columbia with my dad and brother, but the timing was about one week off of the king run. One guy on our charter boated this beaut as a bycatch. My first time seeing one in the wild. She actually went aerial before running straight down to the bottom and horsing out line for 15 minutes.

We were running plugs right off the bottom with tuna fish wrapped to 'em with magic string (spawn sack tying stuff) for smell, hence the interest from the sturgeon. Which gave me an idea for tossing spoons tomorrow at Waukegan. The guide claims the tuna add-on increases his chinook catch rate 5:1, even when prespawn and spawning. I don't want to screw the action of the spoon up, so am thinking about wrapping the snap swivel in a nice ball of Bumble Bee and seeing if our salmon also respond to a little stink.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Sep 8,17 
Very cool!! Quite an interesting story to go along with it as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:32pm - Sep 8,17 
You guys make a cute couple.

So you are talking about canned tuna?

I heard the walleye fishery is falling apart on the columbia river. Increased limits and a focus on the salmonids being factors.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:54pm - Sep 11,17 
Ha! I'm actually the one who took the pic -- guy on the left was our guide, guy on the right was some goofball from California who was not worthy enough to catch such a brute.

Yup, canned tuna. Just balled it up and wrapped it tight under the plug. My efforts to do so with spoons failed miserably this past weekend. String kept coming unhitched and rats-nested around the swivel.

The walleye bite was actually on fire this year. We also missed that by a week -- the shad smolt had rolled in and they were stacked in the water column, so the eyes were having a feeding frenzy on those guys. The chinook return has also been incredible the last few years. 1 million+ two years ago, and a more "normal" 600,000 last year. However, it sounds like the wild steelhead return is crashing hard and fast due to a few factors. Warmer water temps are pushing sea lions and seals farther up at the coast and they're camping out at all the barriers, gorging themselves on steelies. But it's a very healthy and diverse ecosystem, so I imagine nature will sort itself out and recover. Or maybe they open up a seal clubbing season...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Oct 10,17 
Good to hear about the walleye and kings. Sucks on the Steelhead.

The tuna idea is interesting, I would like to see a picture of one rigged up. When I worked on lake michigan we wrapped perch skins(after filleting) on jplugs and spoons. Messed up the action but we caught a few fish. Not enough to do it all the time. Probably a much different smell profile then tuna.

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: