Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Aug 8,17 
My son, 9 year old grandson and I are planning to fish the Wolf River for white bass and whatever else we hook. Reading the White Bass but No Cats, we are trying to determine if the bass are running now. It seems spotty, at best, from the latest reports.
The trip is also a birthday present for the grandson so we would like to hit them when they are in the river and running. I have not found any info if I google or search our site. Can you fellows give us a place for the info (local bait shop, motel) or do you have personal knowledge of what's happening now?
I would think that the Sep-Oct time frame is when the action picks up.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:42am - Aug 8,17 
Chuckt,
Typical White Bass runs are in the spring (when lilacs are in bloom) and the fall (end of Sept early Oct). The river and related lakes system hold fish all year but the "runs" are when you can literally catch 100+ fish a day.
Wolf River House and Red's are two spots to check for current conditions.
Good Fishing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:45am - Aug 8,17 
White bass aren't worth targeting on the river at this time. Best in May, the week before and the week after Mother's Day. Crappie are in the downed timber but you will work for them. Best bet now is cats on dipbait in the deeper holes. JMHO 'based on fishing up there a lot the last seven years.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Aug 8,17 
What the other guys said. Plus, you'll probably get a lot of pleasure boaters who like to pointlessly cruise up and down and up and down the river repeatedly and see how much noise and how much of a wake they can create. And let you know, "hey, my boat is really fast!". So, that might put a damper on things if you're fishing from a boat. I think it's a fantastic river and the vast variety of species there makes it interesting & a lot of fun. Love going there, though I haven't been in quite a while. But I have a 9 yr old daughter who likes to fish, I think with her I'd go later in the year when it's not so crowded & potentially obnoxious, or in May when it's still potentially obnoxious but at least people have to travel more slowly and the fish are biting like crazy.
(Otherwise, I'd go during the week rather than Fri-Sun))

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29am - Aug 8,17 
And try to fish in the No Wake Zones.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:20pm - Aug 8,17 
I go back 58 years ago as a 12 year old fishing with his older brothers. Gerry Hellwig was the owner of the Omro Motel and lived across the street. He was a nice fellow and we were well behaved; I remember him letting us fish off his pontoon dock. A nice story about him; we were fishing and catching one or two and he came up to me and showed me how to rig the bait (minnow) and then said "throw it over there". After 5 or so minutes. I latched onto about a 15 pound catfish of which fought hard and we netted it and took home to eat (those days, with 6 kids, what was caught got eaten). Aaah, those days...when there was one light in the city at night.
I thank you for your quick replies and supports my recollection of hitting the runs. We would be shore fishing so looking for the fish is out of the question. But a hot August night, with the kerosene lantern blazing and hearing the fish swooshing in the dark has its own mystique.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Aug 9,17 
This has nothing to do with fishing (well, a little) but a funny thought of remembering once fishing on the Wolf on shore and I was talking to a fellow who owned a cabin on its shore. I asked him about fishing the Wolf and he replied "Oh, I go up north to fish". Being from the SE side of Chicago, going "up north" to me was at his doorstep.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Aug 10,17 
Slow this time of year.I fish Winneconne area. It's hit or miss. Early am or late PM the best.When you find them you can easily catch over 50 per person in a hour. We go with multiple boats to locate them. Gun Club area has been good. Trolling Horseshoe hole in Poygan with Salmos works. Mixed bag of Catfish,Walleye and LM Bass mixed in.Going back up Aug 20,will post results.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04am - Aug 10,17 
I stay at Wolf River Resorts-you can call them for a fishing report,they have a assortment of lodging,bait shop,boat rentals. I stay at Pinecrest Cottages-has private docking in protected channel. Critters in town has great bait/tackle shop. Full assortment of Salmos and other lures for White Bass.

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: