Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - May 30,17 
Came across this fish yesterday while walking along salt creek below Busse. Just a total waste that someone would put this Muskie on a stump like it was a trophy. Fish was in the 32-34 inch range, i would take a guess and say it was killed sometime this weekend.

I really wish there were more people in/around chicago that respected and protected our resource. I've only lived in the area for a few years, but it amazes me some of the things I see around here. Between people keeping/killing everything they catch, poaching out of season fish, keeping over there limit, etc... they always have an excuse when asked about it. The best one i've heard repeatedly is that, "everyone does it, so I'm gonna do it!"
Then they'll be the first people to complain when they can't catch anything!

Maybe I care too much, maybe it's a lost cause... but it sucks any way you look at it. I just wish there was a way to get fisherman on board to say fishing could be so much better if we just treated it right. I also know it would help if we actually had DNR, but it would be a dang near impossible feat to cover all the water around Chicago.

Anyway, daily random rant over... here is the pic of the muskie that someone pointlessly killed and perched on a stump.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:06am - May 30,17 
Almost looks like something kids would do. I couldn't see an adult doing that. My guess is that some kids were bored and found that fish dead (looks pretty beat up) and decided to do that thinking it looked cool or funny. If it was caught and done intentionally then that's a horrible situation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - May 30,17 
Regardless of how that muskie got there, I applaud your message and also echo your frustrations. Having moved here myself after 10 years in Seattle, I've found the overall lack of environmental consciousness in this region to be appalling. That's not a categorical statement, as I know many in this community live to be outside wetting a line, but there is something critical missing in Chicago's ethos when it comes to our relation with nature.

The fiance and I just got back from Oregon yesterday (wedding planning in Hood River) -- during that trip, we finally had a serious conversation about "the plan" post wedding. Long story short, we're both at the point where we're willing to put career growth aside to live somewhere (again) where we can hike, bike, fish and travel to our heart's content. There are some things I'll miss about this area, but its disregard for nature is not one of them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - May 30,17 
I hear ya, I moved here for my wife who grew up here. We just got back from a trip out west, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho... she actually brought up the idea of moving out there! Not sure if it's really gonna happen or not, but I think being able to have so many options at your fingertips and not be stressed out with work/city life most days was appealing to her.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32pm - May 30,17 
You see the same stuff down town. So many people who don't know what they're doing chasing the smallie state record ripping bass off their beds with montrose perch rods, dragging them over cement. "I paid my $15, I can do what I want." I wish you had to take an IQ test to get a fishing license.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51pm - May 30,17 
Raise the license fees and hire the officers needed to preserve what little is left.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - May 31,17 
Anybody consider that the fish died of natural causes and maybe someone just thought it looked coll and put it up there? These comments remind me of when Joe Buck Jr lost his mind after Randy Moss pretended to moon the fans in Green Bay a few years back.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:06am - May 31,17 
Quote:
Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

It ain't in the bag yet, but thanks man! I still have 3 months to screw things up...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24am - May 31,17 
southshore wrote:
Anybody consider that the fish died of natural causes and maybe someone just thought it looked coll and put it up there? These comments remind me of when Joe Buck Jr lost his mind after Randy Moss pretended to moon the fans in Green Bay a few years back.

I suppose it's possible it was already dead, but I was a ways south of the spillway. Not sure it is very heavily traveled area.

Also, not sure who would pull a dead fish out of the water and place it on a stump. Who wants to play with a dead fish? But then again, I shake my head at things I see people do most days of my life.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:03am - May 31,17 
jhillman17 wrote:
southshore wrote:

I suppose it's possible it was already dead, but I was a ways south of the spillway. Not sure it is very heavily traveled area.

Also, not sure who would pull a dead fish out of the water and place it on a stump. Who wants to play with a dead fish? But then again, I shake my head at things I see people do most days of my life.

Kids.

I remember doing some goofy stuff when I was a kid. It looks like it was laying around in the sun for a while, some kids came by and saw it, and perched it on a log as a prank to maybe scare a friend, or a stranger.

I mean... it was obviously dead when it was perched there, because it would have flopped off.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Jun 1,17 
Way too many rants of people complaining about stuff they see when fishing. At the end of the day all that was achieved was a rant and nothing else.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:52pm - Jun 1,17 
Quote:
Way too many rants of people complaining about stuff they see when fishing. At the end of the day all that was achieved was a rant and nothing else.

Ha. And a rant about a rant accomplishes what, exactly? Anything that you would gripe about with your bud while out at the pond should be fair game for discussion here. Except for taxes, religion and politics.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - Jun 1,17 
That wasn't exactly a rant since I didn't write paragraphs worth of shenanigans, but sure you can talk about my rant about a rant on here.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22pm - Jun 1,17 
OK just getting my .02 cents in..... I want to go on a rant about people ranting about other people ranting about other people ranting about.... OK screw it NEVER MIND.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Latest Topics  [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: