Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42am - Oct 17,16 
I stopped by Silver Lake in Blackwell yesterday evening for about an hour to check out the trout opener. I caught a few in the spring on a chartreuse Rooster Tail and ultralight gear so I brought the same this time.

Of course, the place was packed. The shoreline was very weedy so it was next to impossible to cast a lure. Most everybody was fishing with some type float or bobber. I saw a lot of fish being caught from one spot on the shore and a boat with a dad and his kids.

The rest was the general disappointment that comes with these openers: garbage left everywhere, inconsiderate fishermen casting over eachother, DNR stopping people over limit and fishing where you're not supposed to.

There's a bunch of big signs that say "no fishing between boat docks". DNR kept having to kick people out of there because it's a weedless area and at one point, a large school (probably 75 trout) were just swimming in a ball about 10' from shore. As soon as DNR left, people were literally running to that big pile of fish trying to catch them. I'm surprised someone didn't just walk up them with a net and start scooping them out.

Had to leave after an hour and unfortunately, no fish for me.

If I go back, I'll just set up with a slip bobber and some waxworms or minnows.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:56pm - Oct 17,16 
That was pretty much my experience as well the one time I checked out Blackwell after a trout stocking. It felt more like a carnival game than fishing.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:25pm - Oct 26,16 
Exactly why I stopped fishing public lakes for trout.. Most the time it's people who disrespect the place and you'll only see them out during trout.. Between people being elbow to ( o ) for 5 small trout, it's not worth it for me

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:17pm - Mar 29,17 
Last fall OCT 2016 I hit Silver Lake too. No success. Largely because DNR failed to stock the lake the full 2-weeks prior. Opener was a Saturday, and the stocking was on the prior Monday. fish were still in shock. I hate the guys who keep more than their limit, or poach without a license.. They ruin it for everyone. This is a reason why i decided to invest in kayak so I can get out to deeper water and away from the many non-English speaking folks who don't understand the courtesies of American culture. Not all foreigners are rude, but a lot of them are. In any case, I like hitting the stocked lakes a few weekdays after the opener. When the fish acclimate to the fishing pressure, and there's less lines in the water. I do better on those days.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Mar 30,17 
Thanks for the report. I was thinking to give it a try this coming weekend. That's why I enjoy rivers. Low to no pressure at all!

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: