Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:09pm - Aug 14,16 
Went to Tampier Lake today for the first time after hearing there are some good fish in there. Too bad I didn't get those ones on the end of my hooks. I threw small rattle traps, rooster tails, and shad cranks and only came away with one okay large mouth. The lake was calm and it was beautiful out there and people started showing up in numbers after I got there around 2:30pm. Looks like a nice place to kayak as the lake only allows electric motors. I think I'm going to have to go back there with my kayak and see if I can't troll around for some walleyes. Anyone ever catch walleye in Tampier recently? Seems like a tough lake to fish. There are lots of people on it and the depth is shallow throughout the whole lake. The bottom was rocky along the shores I was fishing and my bait got stuck a few times so I didn't bother to tie on any jigs today since I didn't feel like spending my time re tying when I was trying to explore the lake. I'd love to hear anyone's success stories from this lake and I plan on making some more trips out there soon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:08am - Aug 15,16 
tampier is a tough nut to crack, i personally have not, but like anything else time and effort will prevail. there a re for sure some big eyes in there. dnr nets them for eggs, you might be able to find something on line to give you an idea just how big some of them are.an older gent told me tampier is so tough because of the huge amount of forage, not to mention pressure. he also told me he likes to fish it evenings off 131st street, there is a spot west of wolf that you can pull over and park. supposedly the walleye and bass come into that area and put on the feed bag. like i said this is second hand info, good luck look forward to your post

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:46am - Aug 15,16 
If you want to catch bass, check out the Rock Run Rookery and the Lemont Quarries. Those are some of the best places here in the SW burbs for the kayak. Tampier is a pretty tough place to fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:41pm - Aug 16,16 
Tough lake to fish for sure. Usually go out there once a week from Apr-Sept. Been fishing it for 20 years. Caught everything out of there over that time span. Even with all the years experience at the lake, only typically get one nice fish per outing.

Lots of walleyes caught this year in Spring (14"-15"). Summer/Early Fall is the worst time to fish the lake. Forage is to great. Mid April-Mid June is the best. If choose to go out now, best bet is to use a 32oz jig with half a night crawler. Work real slow. You will catch everything out there on that.

There are nice fish out there, but getting them to consistently bite is another story :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:15am - Aug 17,16 
Heavy overcast cloudy days are your best bet there. Simulates sunset when fish start moving, eating.
If on a yak or boat, check out south shoreline areas. That's the only area people can't get to. There's
also a deep channel on the way to the spillway.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36am - Sep 1,16 
No luck at Tampier for 3 years. That being said...there are monster bass in that lake. DNR shocked there 2 years ago and there were plentiful 5+ lb largemouth bass. How tough is it to fish? The IHSA held a sectional bass fishing meet there and the winning team boated 1 single bass that weighed < 1.5 lbs...every other team was shut out. Tough, tough lake indeed.

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: